Old February 28th 04, 02:39 AM
Travis Marlatte

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
Coming into CLE the other day the controller ask if I had RNAV and I said

no,
that I was /G ,that is, IFR GPS. He said that it was the same and gave me
direct.....
Is it the same, should I have answered yes to his question? Of course I

can
navigate direct but do I have "RNAV"?

Chuck

Yes, Yes, and Yes.
I doubt the controller cared *which* kind of RNAV you had,
only that you had the navigation capability.
Even if you'd had only LORAN, you'd still have answered "Yes".
---JRC---

What do you mean only LORAN? Just kidding. I realize that it is now ancient
technology but it works just fine.

RNAV means that you can navigate random routes. LORAN and GPS both provide
that capability.

How come there is no designator for an approach certified GPS? /G only means
that you have at least an enroute and terminal certified GPS. I presume that
pilots who have an approach certified GPS have to ask for a specific
approach.
Travis