Old March 12th 05, 03:12 PM
OtisWinslow

First off, my apoligies to Jack for any perceived offense about my
new buyer remark. Since he has experienced buyers involved as
partners it really doesn't apply to him and is simply based on my
experience.

Two of my previous sales were with buyers located far away. I simply
never let a plane I'm selling go somewhere else for the prebuy. That
eliminates the fear of the plane being taken apart and being held
hostage to an unscrupulous buyer controlled A/P. What I
do is make arrangements with my home shop to make available space
and any needed equipment (at my expense) in their shop. Then the
prebuy mechanic can come there and do the prebuy. And my
mechanic can deal with fixing anything they want fixed. I haven't had
any objections to this and it's worked well for all concerned.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
If the seller seems odd about anything during the sale, that is good
reason to let it go.

Well from the seller's perspective the same goes. I've had good buyers
and bad ones.

I have a somewhat unique perspective here, as I have met both the
potential buyer (Jack) and the seller. (Last week I flew to Wisconsin to
lend a casual eye to the bird for Jack.)

In this case, I'd say both parties were "good", but distance and
circumstances conspired against the sale. IMHO, here's why:

1. Jack is 1500 miles away
2. The seller had a local buyer that was interested in the plane.
3. Jack understandably wanted a pre-buy inspection conducted at a
"neutral" location.
4. The seller was understandably wary of letting his prized Arrow be
dismantled by an unknown shop, especially in light of #2, above.
5. The seller made personal contact with the "neutral" shop that made him
even more uncomfortable.
6. The seller started to ponder the awful possibility that (a) the
"neutral" shop could tear his plane apart and find something wrong, which
would (b) cause his erstwhile potential buyers -- located inconveniently
on the other side of the continent -- to withdraw from the deal and (c)
potentially leave him to pay the "neutral" shop for the work, if Jack and
his partners turned out to be nefarious cretins.

All of these factors came into play -- most importantly #2. IMHO,
without #2 the seller might well have silently swallowed his worries, and
gone through with the deal.

But who knows? The whole experience can be frustrating, but in this case
it's probably all for the best that the deal fell apart.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA