Old October 3rd 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default VFR Practise Approaches

writes:

Actually he had it right with getting the clearance in Bravo in his
original post. He just has it flat out wrong on "do whatever you want
absent ATC instruction" after that bravo entry clearance.

I'm afraid I'm right about that, too. Within the context of applicable
regulations, you can do what you want. You still have to stay at proper VFR
altitudes, remain below 250 KIAS below 10,000 feet, and so on, but you are not
constrained otherwise in route, altitude, or speed, UNLESS ATC imposes a
constraint.

If ATC needs to impose restrictions to make sure that you don't interfere with
other traffic, then rest assured, they most certainly will. If no
restrictions are imposed, that is because ATC doesn't see you as a potential
conflict for nearby traffic for the moment.

As elsewhere under VFR, navigation is at your discretion unless you are told
otherwise.

Can you imagine if everybody did what they wanted in Bravo? I
wouldn't.

No need to imagine it, as it already happens every day. Aircraft under VFR
that have not been constrained by ATC are doing exactly what they want. They
have no choice, since the pilot is the navigator and has full freedom of
action and responsibility therefore in the absence of any ATC instructions.

Suppose I want to transit a Class B under VFR to save time. All I have to do
is call up ATC before entering the airspace, get a clearance, and go. ATC may
well ask my intentions, and I'll explain that I want a transition to the
south. If there are no obvious traffic issues, ATC may simply give me a squawk
code and let me go. It's up to me to decide how to do the transition. Prudence
and courtesy dictate that I try to cross the Class B as quickly and
efficiently as possible, but no regulation requires this. I can fly straight
through, or I can decide to turn 45 degrees to head for a VOR at some point. I
can fly at 4500 feet or 6500 feet, or whatever is appropriate for my direction
of flight. I don't need ATC's approval, and there are no particular
restrictions on what I may do that I wouldn't already have outside the Class
B.