Old January 20th 04, 04:42 AM
karl

************In fact, the only thing I didn't like was that they installed a
new Garmin
transponder antenna, without asking, because it was "recommended by Garmin."
It was "only" an extra $150 -- cheap, in aviation -- but it still bugs me
that they threw away a perfectly functional antenna because it wasn't the
"spade" kind that Garmin recommends.****************

Jay, They did you a BIG favor. You should tip them for being pro-active on
the maintenance on your airplane. Everything on an airplane wears out, and a
transponder antenna is right up there on the list. They did it without
asking because it was the right and correct way for the installation.

One way to look at it would be to relate it to your hotel. Can you imagine
someone complaining that you changed the sheets on their bed, and they
thought they could have gotten a discount? That's what it sounds like when
you complain about a job done properly.

I go as far as replacing ALL accessories at 500 hrs. That means new mags,
plugs, harness, starter, hoses, alternator, vacuum pumps, ignition switches.
Sure, it leaves some time on the bench, but my seaplane trips to Northern
B.C. have NEVER been interrupted by a mechanical failure. It would be very
inconvenient to be stranded up there a couple of hundred miles from the
closest road.

BTW, I've maintained a Taylorcraft, two Super Cubs, Cessna 180, Cessna 206,
Mooney 201, Cessna 140, two Cessna 185's (All that I owned.) Plus a King Air
90 and King Air 200, that I crewed and managed. Nobody ever complained about
getting there on time. Christ, you should see the maintenance on the jets we
fly now!

We like to say "No Bucks, No Buck Rogers!"

Best,
Karl