Old February 8th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GNS430 on the Airway

So how far off an airway is an aircraft when they are following a GPS flight
plan with every intersection and VOR? Is there an article or study somewhere
that includes metrics to back it up? For example, "a non-WAAS GPS-derived
line direct btween two intersection xx miles away will differ from the
airway between those same two intersections by x.x statute miles." How do
the error allowances play into this?

Marco

"nooneimportant" wrote in message
But the workaround is very easy... if V123 goes throug the abc bca and cab
VOR's then you creat the flight plan wiht waypoints at each vor or
intersection on the route. If you are off airway and choose to fly TO the
airway, simply go to the FPL screen, select teh NEXT fix on the plan and
activate the leg. Your CDI will be in relation to that leg, not a direct
line to the fix.

Tho i do wish you could simply put AIRPORTA D- abcVOR-V123-cabVORD D-
AIRPORTB. But it only saves a few entries on most flights. And in reality
I've NEVER gotten what i was cleared for IFR wise when i filed /G.... I
MIGHT get to the second fix, then its "Proceed Direct AIRPORTB" or

something
similar that cuts off about 20 minutes of flying time.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
That's one major limitation of the Garmin products. Not having airways
is very, very irritating especially to those of us that fly in high
traffic areas (such as L.A.). When an approach controller machine guns
you with a new 6 airway route without giving you any intersections it
leaves you jumping for your chart. When I had my king unit, I would
just put the pink airplane line on top of the blue airway line and I
was done. I hope Garmin addresses this someday.

-Robert

http://www.usenet.com