Old July 16th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.military
Charles Talleyrand

Default Engine Out Operation

On Jul 16, 4:07*am, Dan wrote:
Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I'm curious. *Can a Blackhawk, Chinook, or other large military
helicopter hover with one engine out? *What is the procedure for one-
engine-out operations for large helicopters? *I assume no one auto
rotates a 30,000 lbs helicopter???

The obvious internet searches didn't help.

-Much Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

* *H-3,H-53 and H-60 can auto rotate. Watching an H-53 recover from auto
rotation is truly impressive. As far as I know all helicopters can auto
rotate. Every helicopter crew I have been around trains to do so.

* *As for single engine hovering they can do it depending on air density
and load. Above a certain density altitude no helicopter can hover.

* *An empty H-53 or H-60 can take off on a single engine at sea level..
An H-3 can take off on a single engine, but given the choice I'd prefer
number one engine since the other tends to run a tad weak due to the FOD
shield.

If the large helicopters can autorotate, and cannot hover with a
reasonable load on just one engine, why do they have two engines? It
would seem that you would have smaller odds of failure with one large
engine rather than two smaller engines. If you have two engines, and
failure of either leaves you kinda screwed, it is not better to just
have one engine?

Or am I missing something?

-Curious
-Charles Talleyrand