Old September 6th 03, 12:33 PM
Stu Fields

I had two Scorpion ones and sold them to a guy who had an A&P try to get
them going. They still have not been in the air. He had a lot of trouble
with slipping tail rotor belts. There are some problems with the old rotor
head. B.J Schramm, the designer should be contacted about those problems.
I believe I heard him tell one person not to fly the version with the looped
cable in the head. I used to fly a Benson gyro with a McCullough engine.
It was a quiet sewing machine compared to the sound of the Evinrude engine
in the Scorpion. Be very careful.
Stu Fields
wrote in message
"Gig Giacona" wrote:

You will have to be signed off by and instructor for that aircraft. Do

you
already own a flyable Scorpion? You will most likely have to get back in

the
R22 for your check ride.

My scorpion is a single seater and is not completely restored yet. I
checked with Rotorway, but it does not seem that there is any way to
get instruction in a scorpion one. I wonder if a scorpion 2 is close
enough. The scopion 2 and scorpion one are basically the same
helicopter with the 2 being bigger and wider.

It is starting to look like I'm going to have to get my certificate by
soloing in the R22 and then just switch to the scorpion afterwards.
It seems like thats a waste of money though since I will have to
relearn everything in the scorpion.

I have all the parts to the scorpion one, but I am not sure what to do
with the rotor blades. It looks like there are fine cracks in the
composite. I wonder if simply recoating them with new resin will be
good enough or if I have to rewrap them. They only have about 25
hours on them.

I will also say that the scorpion 1 was definitely not designed for
people with normal length legs. Its a real pain getting in and out of
it.

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm