Old November 20th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default A deal at Home Depot

Well this Californa homeowner/DIY builder did put a basement (40X24) under
my place in the desert. We live just 40 miles North of Rutan's Skunk

Works.
We didn't bother putting a vapor barrier beneath the basement concrete

floor
because you can get a prize if you can spit and it hits the ground. It is
dry here. We are on the east side of the Sierras about 2 miles away from

canyon that has a stream part of the year that hits the ground about 4

miles
away and disappears right into the ground. I've lived in the area 41

years
and have never seen any flood water get anywhere within miles of our

house.
However, when we decided to put an extension on our existing building, we
were informed that we were in some flood plain and a threat of 0.5' of
standing or running water was declared by FEMA to be a risk in the 100year
flood. Further they told us that if the cost of the addition exceeded 50%
of the existing structure, we might be required to "Raise the existing
structure 1.5" This we have in writing and they were informed of the 9'
deep basement and the "existing structure is a 40X72 steel building.
In spite of the dry desert environment, I don't believe that it is
currently possible to get a permit to build a basement in our area. Our
basement maintains a very comfortable temperature year round and has never
been flooded by any act of nature in the 34 years it has existed.
BTW the permit for our 24X72 addition for a car garage cost in excess of
$1,000. No plumbing, no electric, no windows.
Think carefully before you decide you have to have a basement. I don't

know
about you but I'm getting sick and tired of government intervention in my
personal life.

--
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

We have similar *()&^^%$ lunacy down here in Florida, with ever increasing
intensity since the early nineties, ostensibly to reduce the cost of
reconstruction following a hurricane. The net result has been that any
significant remodeling or repair costs MUCH, MUCH more and the costs of
construction, repair, and insurance have multiplied. Yet our brilliant
electorate, with the helpful assistance of the popular media, continues to
elect the *&&^%$$ reperesntatives who make all of the lunacy possible.

Grrr.

Peter