Old January 6th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andrew Sarangan

Default Procedure for calculating weight and balance

No one places the loads to exactly so as to balance the airplane. The
elevator downward force is increased or decreased during flight to
balance the airplane for varying load conditions. For example, when a
passenger walks forward, the elevator downward force must be increased
to counteract that. The CG is calculated using the moments and arms to
make sure that it falls within the approved limits. If the CG falls too
far forward or too far backward, the elevator may not be able to
provide the force necessary to balance the airplane.
See he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_...%28aircraft%29

Mxsmanic wrote:
The manual for my aircraft gives figures for MOM and ARM at various
stations, but it doesn't actually explain how to use these to
calculate weight and balance. I want to place the load so that the
aircraft neither pitches down nor pitches up. Can someone provide me
with a pointer to an explanation of the procedure on the Web
somewhere?