Old July 26th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

Default captain jepp

"Andrey Serbinenko" wrote in message

Does anybody know why it so happened that there's literally
nobody else out there besides jepp in aeronautical charting

Jeppesen started so early on (early 30s), and his little notebooks were so
relevant and to the point, that it didn't take much for the Jepps to become
the de facto industry standard, even after the government started publishing
their own charts. In almost 40 years I haven't met anyone, not 1, who
prefers the gov charts over Jepps.

All the data is public available, but I believe certain elements of
formatting and presentation are copyrighted. You could start publishing
your own chart service, I'm sure, but the tough part would be convincing
virtually every pilot and airline in the world to switch over to a different
format chart.