View Single Post
Old November 18th 03, 03:07 PM
Anonymous
external usenet poster

ArtKramr wrote in message ...

Bad manners and the delusion that sitting at a computer paying with games is
the same as really flying.

Art, I don't think anyone is honestly of the impression that flight sims on PCs are the same as real flight.

And nobody is even beginning to suggest that combat simulators offer anything more than a brief glimpse of what you and your
comrades and fellow airmen went through in the air over Europe in WW2.

They're good at aiding in instrument training, learning basic procedures (like entering the landing pattern at airports, learning
how to use ILS, tuning into the correct frequency for VORs and other NAVAIDS), and the very basic principles of powered flight.

Not even Microsoft will tell you that their simulation software is intended to be used off-the-shelf as an ultra-realistic and
precision-accurate representation of real world flight because it simply is not possible for it to be so.

The only computer based simulators that offer any degree of accuracy in terms of "look and feel" are the massive multi-million £/$
moving simulators with complete working flight deck and one-piece 180 degree wrap-around screen. That's why they cost millions and
FS2004 costs £50/$80.

But I still wouldn't class MSFS as a game simply because it isn't capable of offering what a real aircraft or a purpose-built
multi-million £/$ aircraft simulator can.

(Just my 2p / 2c)

Cheers
Graeme