Old September 14th 03, 01:19 AM
Brian

"Jaymes Littlehayles" wrote in message
.. .
Alas, the bottom line answer to the original question is this...

Same equipment operated by operators who knew and cared about doing the

job
correctly, are more likely then not to find anything... In late 70s, using
early 70s technology, the Knox/Hewes class Frigate I was on using SPS10C

and
SPS40 series radar held contact on drone simulators as well as aircraft
simulators that ships with "better" equipment couldn't find, much less
track...

The 10 and 40 are no match for a modern ASCM. Operators can exponentially
improve a systems performance but those systems are just plain outdated.
Considering the Knox had a gun, you could attack it with impunity from
outside the range of the gun. A good operator might pick out a sea skimming
missile but he'd better be good and the missile will be very close (ie. too
late)

As to shooting down...
Same answer applies... Sure a Phalanx is "always on" ...
But with appropriate notice... a properly trained and interested 5"/54 or
3"/50 crew can knock things out of sky that too many folks say is
impossible... Just as the T-2 Buckeye driver of Viques Island who had the
sock destroyed with 2 rounds from our lowly little frigate on the first

high
speed pass...
How about a Tornado from Uruguayan Air Force who got plinked at high
altitude/high speed as well as low altitude/low speed...

Throw in an bit of countermeasures and plinking becomes very difficult,
though I've seen some pretty skilled SPG-53 operators. Tornado's and
Buckeyes have a pretty high RCS which helps considerably. An ASCM like an
Exocet is much more difficult to pick out of the weeds.

It isn't the equipment, it is the human designing and using it...

Technology
is no substitute for intelligence...

Improvements in todays equipment coupled with very skilled technicians makes
equipment today far more capable against the low angle threat.

And also... That ship is now the heaviest armed warship on active duty in
Africa, being the fagship of the Egyptian Navy as ENS Dumyat...

BTW ex-EW1(ESWS/AC/DV)

BTW ex EW2 Defected over to the Army Guard upon release.