Old August 7th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Cancelling IFR in Bravo airspace

Terence Wilson wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:15:04 -0700, Sam Spade
wrote:

You have no idea of what ATC needs to do with you if you cancel on an
IFR climnb to on-top. So, keep it simple, and stay with the IFR
clearance until either above or otherwise clear of the Class B airspace.

On the last two occasions ATC has queried whether I was on top yet and
then asked what my intention was, I cancelled, and continued on my
merry way inside Bravo.

So obviously they were ok with it, but my original question stands, am
I cleared into the class B after I canel in class B?

If my clearance limit for the IFR climb was inside Class B I would
reply, "I request a clearance to outside Class B before I cancel."

It's your butt that's on the line, not their's.

Or, just say "negative" when they ask if you're on top, thus forcing a
clearance out of the quagmire.