Old December 16th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
d&tm

Default Looking for a math wiz!

"Chad Speer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, I know I've seen a lot of engineers and technical folks on here.
I have a complex math problem relating to the classic wind triangle
that I posted on sci.math and received little response. I don't know
if they're stumped or just not interested. :-)

Here is a copy of my original post and the only useful response I
received. Anyone have a solution?

(For the controllers here, this is an enhancement we are trying to add
to the Falcon program that centers will see next year, which was
developed by a controller here at ZKC.)

Chad Speer
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC

My original post:
*****
I am helping someone with a program that estimates wind speed and
direction using radar data from aircraft. I need help finding a
formula that can determine the wind speed and direction when given the
following information for multiple aircraft:

direction of travel
speed across the ground
speed through the air

The direction of travel and the speed across the ground are taken from
the radar data. The speed through the air is taken from the pilot's
flight plan. We're air traffic controllers trying to improve our
training tools, so we get access to all the goodies.

I know that with information from just one aircraft, the possibilities
are endless for the wind speed and direction. I think it is possible
to use the same data from two or more aircraft to determine the wind
speed and direction.

I thought I could come up with a formula to solve this, but the need to
reference everything to north in order to achieve actual directions
instead of just angles took it way above my head.

snip

Chad
if you know HDG ( ie where you are pointing), GS and TAS then there is only
1 possibility for the wind speed and direction. these can be calculated
from the cosine rule. If you know the cosine rule and the sine rule for
triangles you can calculate a lot of things.
to apply both of these rules draw yourself a little triangle and mark the
sides small a,b and c.
then mark the angles capital A,B and C where angle A is opposite side a
and angle B is opposite side b.
cosine rule a^2 = b^2 +c^2 - 2bc cos( A)
sine rule a/sin A = b/sin B = c /sin C

in the case of the NAV triangle

WS= SQRT( GS^2+TAS^2 =2*GS*TAS*cos(HDG-TR))
where WS= windspeed
GS = ground speed
TAS = airspeed
HDG = heading(where you are pointing)
TR = track ( where you are going)

If you want I can email you an excel spreadsheet that has this already
coded. you just enter your TAS, GS and HDG and it will give you the WS and
Wind direction.

Terry
PPL