Old March 22nd 04, 11:52 AM
M. H. Greaves

possibly, yes but its better than losing the ass of the plane!
"Errol Cavit" wrote in message
om...
"Dave Kearton" wrote in

message ...
"M. H. Greaves" wrote in message
| I saw a video about the extensive testing of the early 747's (not the
| 400's), and the test pilots had a big wooden skid attached to the rear
| underside, and were taking off at too steep an angle grinding the wood
skid
| along the ground; amazing!!
| shows just how strong they were and how they could stand up to rough
| treatment; of course the one at Aukland didnt have a wooden skid so

the
| effect must have been quite sparking, ('s'cuse the pun!!)

I don't have the 747-400 manual on hand, but on one of the first few

pages
it mentions that the APU is as effective as a wooden skid, if you drag

it
along 400m of concrete.

Wooden skids give (false, thankfully in SQ286's case) APU fire warnings?

Some piccies

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/9v-smt/3.shtml
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3200538

Discussion on aus.aviation:

www.google.com/groups?threadm=3abd9d15.0312151327.2d6555c2@posti ng.google.c
om

Cheers, Errol Cavit
"Il vino è la luce del sole catturata dall'acqua."
(Wine is sunlight held together by water.)
Attributed to Galileo Galilei