Old November 18th 03, 07:29 AM
Mike Borgelt

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 05:39:03 GMT, Marc Ramsey wrote:

Bruce Hoult wrote:
And I'll ammend my earlier remarks. In 1994 when I was recommending RSA
to them I never imagined that they'd get to nearly 2004 before it became
an issue. So they may have made the correct commercial decision.

I'd make the simple point that if RSA was required when the first flight
recorder specification was issued in 1995, there were no existing flight
recorder designs which could have been approved.

So what? If RSA had been required at that time there soon would have
been.

RSA (or equivalent
asymmetric algorithm) has been required for "all flights" approval since
1997, I believe...

So it has been perfectly acceptable to fly world records for the last
5 to 6 years without RSA security with loggers approved before 1997.

If lack of RSA security was an issue why weren't legacy loggers given
say 12 months to comply or lose "all flights" approval back in 1997?

Why the change now?

Would someone tell us why this is suddenly an issue?

Which world record flights are suspect?

Isn't it a remarkable coincidence that this action is being taken
right after CAI Model 20 and 25 loggers are no longer in production?

So a would a new design without RSA security would be acceptable for
all but World Records?

If not, why not?

Mike Borgelt
Borgelt Instruments