Old June 29th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

Default Rocket Racing League First Exhibition Race August 1st and August 2nd, 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:19:07 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Pylon racing and now Rocket Racing!

I'm sure there will now appear those who choose to sit on the sidelines and
mock those who are trying something new. It is easier and less risky to be a
critic instead of a playwright.

Wouldn't want to disappoint you, Rich! :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing it. The Red Bull events are very entertaining.

Certainly. But there's a lot of differences between Red Bull and the RRL. For
instance, the RRL pilots follow instructions from an autopilot in order to
follow an invisible course. If they vary from the course, only the spectators
following the "video game" on the big-screen TVs will know. For Red Bull, a
"Cut Pylon" is not only a literal event, it's totally obvious to every
spectator! :-)

I don't argue that the RRL isn't *spectacle*. But so was "jet truck" racing at
Oshkosh.

The race at Oshkosh is listed as an 'Exhibition'...with no definition of what
that means. I'm guessing it means two or three airplanes (probably including
XCOR's Rocket EZ) zipping around until their fuel runs out, no pit stops, and
limited video screens.

No doubt folks will enjoy the spectacle. But...consider whether you'll ever be
willing to pay good money *just* to see a rocket race. I enjoyed seeing the
Rocket EZ fly. But how many people would pay $100 just to watch it fly again?
If a full-up RRL race would displace, say, 100 homebuilts from show-center
Oshkosh parking to allow room for their video screens, pit areas, and luxury
boxes for VIP guests...would it be worth it?

Here's an interesting bit of information. As of 1 January 2008, there were two
Velocities registered to the RRL (N246RR and N216MR). Both were licensed as
Experimental Amateur-Built, and still are in that category today.

The RRL could have just as easily licensed them as Experimental Racing.
*Somebody* had to sign an affidavit stating that these aircraft were constructed
for education or recreation.

Keep that in mind the next time the kit airplane companies cry about the FAA
tightening up the Experimental Amateur-Built rules....

Ron Wanttaja