Old May 20th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Outside reference in IMC

On May 20, 3:44*pm, Scott Skylane wrote:

IMC - Instrument Meteorological Conditions - Condition under which
flight instruments are used to maintain control of an aircraft. *How
used: *"Flight into IMC". *One would not say "an IMC rating". *If you
can use outside references to maintain flight you are not in IMC... as
in "flying in and out of IMC".

/snip/

Bob,
Where did you get that definition? *The Pilot Controller Glossary states:

"Instrument Meteorological Conditions - Meteorological conditions
expressed in terms of visibility, distance from cloud,and ceiling less
than the minima specified for visual meteorological conditions."

Scott,

You are correct THE WAY I UNDERSTAND the above.

For purposes of logging IMC, I only log it when I am inside a cloud in
my log book, but anything less then VMC conditions is considered
IMC.

So in reality, I have spent many more hours in IMC by legal
definitions then what is in my log book. But I am not seeking anymore
ratings so I don't mind.

And in order to fly VMC, you must be VFR, which means keeping the
appropriate cloud clearances based VFR flight rules.

So, if you are 20 feet above a cloud deck seeing 200 miles ahead under
a glorious sunshine, it is considered IMC because you are not
maintaining VFR clearances from the clouds. And when one thinks about
it, one is flying by instruments since you have no ground references
anyway.

To be in and out of IMC conditions, I see that happening on a
scattered cloud day at the altitude you are flying.

You cannot maintain in and out of IMC on a cloud deck that is
considered broken (I.E horizontal cloud clearances wouldn't be met).at
that cloud altitude like on a day of scattered cumulus.

As far as the official rating, I believe it's IA (Instrument Air) that
allows you to fly IFR which of course allows you to fly IMC.