Thread: $75,000 2-33
View Single Post
Old March 11th 18, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]
external usenet poster

Default $75,000 2-33

Hi Kirk -

I am onboard with most of your points.

I do find that the 2-33 provokes either nostalgic reminiscences of those halcyon days or pure hatred.

I did a Flight Review with one of the most accomplished instructors/pilots I know - of all his choices picked the 2-33 as it was "the worst thing I fly" on a gnarly windy bumpy day. He hates the 2-33 and yet in addition to being able to fly the heck out of it, mumbling the whole time unprintable things (I'm ex-navy so I'm ok, no therapy needed) he did begrudgingly admit that it does well teaching rudder coordination, weak lift exploitation and "putting the aircraft where you want it/tough conditions" skills.

I've seen a student really master weak wave in tight spots at 1-2 kts of lift, balancing on the head of a pin, dealing with Sugarbush rotor and small margins in a 2-33. I've seen students mastering the slip, no-spoiler landings and other "stick and rudder" skills very quickly in 2-33s.

I saw the airframe of one where the pilot ran into a bollard - saw it in the shop at K&L before it was fixed. As an ex-accident investigator I'm pretty sure if that student pilot had run into that bollard with a glass ship the outcome would have been much worse - I understand she was basically ok. There are other examples of the cage/tube frame protecting the occupants.

Can other gliders do this stuff - sure. Can they do other things better - absolutely.

The "cheap" thing is simply that - if a club or operation can't afford newer glass ships as trainers the 2-33 did/does fill a niche. They taught many pilots to fly.

Just like in the power world - how do you entice a prospective student who has a nice car/boat/airplane with a 2-33, worse if the condition is less than average? Could be airworthy but cosmetically is a train wreck. Absolutely valid point. Years ago I instructed at a power school, same old story, guy pulls in, nice car, I sell him an intro lesson, we go out to that ratty, mismatched paint with broken plastic panels on the interior with a panel that made Lindbergh's look modern - no surprise - no go. Probably bought a boat. The owner of said school complained constantly about revenue but wouldn't spend a dime. Another reason that GA is in the sorry state it's in.

Counter to that - pull into a flight school that is fancy and has brand new Cirrus SR22s at $350 per hour with an instructor at $110 per hour. Not going to swell our ranks of pilots with that and the data proves it.

The Blaniks (L-23) were a really nice mix of good things too and many folks I knew loved to teach in them.

We are transitioning our fleet to more modern glass ships over time. The 2-33 maybe a thing if the past very soon. Still a place for it for a while here.

Not attempting to change anyone's mind here. I solo a number of students including teens in 2-33s so I, as well as others I highly respect clearly feel ok about that. As son of flubber pointed out - our students progress nicely up the fleet and do pretty ok. I have no hesitation starting someone in a PW-6 either.

As a power/glider/Part 135/91 instructor I've given instruction in a lot of different aircraft, it's really all about the student and how they are taught. Given enough money I could teach primary in a jet or more fun and reasonably in a 2-33/J-3.

Regards, Tom

As March Madness begins I'll be focusing my efforts elsewhere for a while - see you all after the final four is done. :-)