Old January 31st 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default bad cylinder

I've got 3 ECI cylinders on one engine. I just got done checking them for
the recent replacement AD. I dodged a bullet...this time... and until
when??? I also know that our aerial applicator will not touch anything made
by ECI, they claim they've just seen too much junk come from that company.

YMMV
Jim

"Blanche" wrote in message
Denny wrote:
Hmm, Blanche - So, what brand is the cylinder that went 2500 hours?
ECI? Millenium? Not that I care what brand cylinder you purchase, but
if you were to buy a shiny new half million dollar airplane what brand
cylinders will be on it?

These are 3 original Lycoming cylinders from 1969 and one overhauled
about 10 years ago.

On the issue of overhaul versus new, look for an article written some
years ago by Richard Collins on his experience with overhauling
cylinders... He bought the airplane new... It went to TBO without any
cylinder work... He overhauled the engine and cylinders and again went
to TBO, this time he had couple of bad cylinders along the way... He
did a second overhaul on the engine and cylinders and again went to
TBO, this time he lost 4 cylinders along the way... Given the cost of
having 4 cylinders removed and reworked/replaced you could buy gold
plated new cylinders and still be money ahead in 2500 hours... The
math is simple on cylinders, overhaul and save pennies now so you can
lose dollars later... Your call...

And your point is? I'm missing something here.

No difference on the break in procedure new cylinders versus
overhauled... Seating rings is seating rings... The new rings don't
know what age the cylinder is...

Great! My concern is how the break-in process will impact the current
cylinders, too.

No core deposit, new cylinders are purchased outright... The three
brands differ slightly in what new parts they include... Do your home
work...

I'm trying. Isn't that why I posted here? r.a.o is another resource
for me.

And finally, did you research which of the three brands have had the
highest percentage of cylinder recalls under AD and which one is
currently having to replace all it's one line of cylinders out in the
field under an AD? Facts - not emotion, not who has the slickest ads,
not rumours on the internet - facts......

So - do you have this information handy? I get really tired of
hunting thru a really crappy FAA database. You'd think with all
the contracts they let for web stuff, they'd hire someone who understands
the basics of user interface usability, database searches, and
organization.