Old May 5th 04, 02:19 AM
Ryan Young

These are both promising products, but they are very different.

I've done a fair amount of research on the least toxic ways to prep
and paint aluminum, and I have never seen anything like Prekote. It's
not a paint, and it's not a conversion coating, it's more like a
detergent with a residual film. Note that the scrubbing is not to
"penetrate the pores", it's to mechanically break down the existing
oxide coat. I plan on trying this on my long-term exposure test
piece. It MUST be top coated with a true primer and presumably a
finish coat.

The Coretec product looks like a waterborne version of long-existing
"Wash Primers". It's closer to a paint product, in that it forms a
"cured" film. A nice, low-impact product, but it's not as
revolutionary as the Prekote credibly seems to be.

Thanks to both of you for sharing these leads with us.