A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

padding in Cobra trailer

Old April 26th 21, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43
external usenet poster

Default padding in Cobra trailer

The carpet in my Cobra trailer is shedding badly. I would like to replace or cover it. Open to any ideas on how to remove the old carpet or can you just put some new material on top of the old? What material would be best? Soft felt, hard felt, carpet?
Old April 26th 21, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 6:10:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The carpet in my Cobra trailer is shedding badly. I would like to replace or cover it. Open to any ideas on how to remove the old carpet or can you just put some new material on top of the old? What material would be best? Soft felt, hard felt, carpet?

The padding’s I have seen have a rubbery under-service that deaerates . I removed everything with a wire brush and acetone. Wings & Wheels has replacement material in red or blue.
JJ
Old April 26th 21, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Under no circumstances would I replace the Cobra carpet/padding with the same material. It is a great deal of work to remove the adhesive sheet they use, and the material self destructs on a regular time table. There are better materials available that will last much longer.
On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 11:30:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 6:10:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:

The padding’s I have seen have a rubbery under-service that deaerates . I removed everything with a wire brush and acetone. Wings & Wheels has replacement material in red or blue.
JJ

Old April 26th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 8:42:35 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
Under no circumstances would I replace the Cobra carpet/padding with the same material. It is a great deal of work to remove the adhesive sheet they use, and the material self destructs on a regular time table. There are better materials available that will last much longer.

It’s not the same material! Spindleburger (owner of Cobra Trailers), continually evaluates every aspect of his product and frequently makes changes. New fabric without the padding is just the latest example of a company that really tries to improve their product.
JJ
Old April 26th 21, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard
external usenet poster

I've been using closed cell neoprene sheets with decent success. Its more grabby but it can be cleaned, and won't scuff. It grabs, but it doesn't scuff or hold dirt that will scratch like carpet or felt. It also has a nice give to it that does protect.
Old April 27th 21, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]
external usenet poster

This is a great question that all Cobra owners will have to face.
I have two trailers and replaced the original carpet about five years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet that I put in place with rubber cement.
The hardest part is removing the crumbly foam rubber backing on the original padding. Aweful product.
My second trailer has the padding starting to fall off.

So...JJ...is there a heavy felt product or carpet that has self adhesive backing appropriate for this use?
Old April 27th 21, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:18:17 PM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
I have two trailers and replaced the original carpet about five years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet that I put in place with rubber cement.
The hardest part is removing the crumbly foam rubber backing on the original padding. Aweful product.

So...JJ...is there a heavy felt product or carpet that has self adhesive backing appropriate for this use?

The foam back carpet was a terrible idea, left over relic from the seventies, it was used as "kitchen carpet" in the US, I'm surprised Cobra was and I guess still using it. They are most likely not even available in the US any longer.
The easiest way to replace this crap is with regular commercial grade "tufted" carpets, readily available at your neighborhood flooring stores . Than once again the problem is the weight with these goods which makes it harder to install once all the previous crap has been removed as I think JJ described it well previously.
The best results can be obtained from automobile carpets (without the foam back) , these are light weight and go around compound curves much more easily. They can be purchased at the neighborhood auto upholstery shops. Even if more expensive remember you don't need a large quantity, so it won't brake the bank.
And since on this subject, please use a good quality contact cement BUT NOT THE GREEN KIND as you may end up with the carpet as headwear- they just don't hold. Unfortunately the old fashioned contact cements are only available in small cans any longer which makes them more expensive.
I could be wrong here as I only tried the local hardware stores and not online.
Old April 27th 21, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy
external usenet poster

On my Cobra I used a Painters 5 in 1 tool as a scraper sharpened up.
You can put a lot of force on as these fit in your hand nicely.
Then I buffed it out with a wire wheel in a battery drill.
The wire wheel did a good job of taking the bits and pieces completely off.
Nick
T
Old April 27th 21, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 6:14:06 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:

The foam back carpet was a terrible idea, left over relic from the seventies, it was used as "kitchen carpet" in the US, I'm surprised Cobra was and I guess still using it. They are most likely not even available in the US any longer.
The easiest way to replace this crap is with regular commercial grade "tufted" carpets, readily available at your neighborhood flooring stores . Than once again the problem is the weight with these goods which makes it harder to install once all the previous crap has been removed as I think JJ described it well previously.
The best results can be obtained from automobile carpets (without the foam back) , these are light weight and go around compound curves much more easily. They can be purchased at the neighborhood auto upholstery shops. Even if more expensive remember you don't need a large quantity, so it won't brake the bank.
And since on this subject, please use a good quality contact cement BUT NOT THE GREEN KIND as you may end up with the carpet as headwear- they just don't hold. Unfortunately the old fashioned contact cements are only available in small cans any longer which makes them more expensive.

We removed some old padding and replaced it with carpet from Wings &Wheels. Thinner because it didn’t have a foam back. Used the old contact cement.........the new green contact is pure crap! Read the label on the old contact cement which says, in part...........stir before using........ then apply to both surfaces........then let dry for :15 minutes!
Worked for us and customer was happy!
JJ
Old April 29th 21, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 8:04:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 6:14:06 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:

We removed some old padding and replaced it with carpet from Wings &Wheels. Thinner because it didn’t have a foam back. Used the old contact cement.........the new green contact is pure crap! Read the label on the old contact cement which says, in part...........stir before using........ then apply to both surfaces........then let dry for :15 minutes!
Worked for us and customer was happy!
JJ

I have used a paint scraper such as this that I attached to a longer handle for this kind of work:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-4-in...2920/311182302
Tom