Sport Pilot Q For Sacramento Area

Old September 26th 05, 09:15 PM
three-eight-hotel

Default Sport Pilot Q For Sacramento Area

I've got one of the neatest nieghbors a person could ever ask for.
He's 77 years old and had over 1000 hours before he received a major
bypass operation back in 1986. He's as alert and sharp and has a very
active life, but he let his medical expire back in 1988 (never been
denied a medical) and has, until lately, lived only with his memories
of what it's like to be behind the controls, a mile high!

I have been able to get him into my 172 a few times, but the first
couple of times he went up, it devestated him; the thought of never
being able to be PIC again! I think it did more bad for him, than
good! :-(

I recently talked him into going up again and asked him, as we were
back-taxiing, if he wanted to peform the take-off (is that legal?). He
said, "nahhhh', then shortly after, perked up and said, "ahhhh what the
hell... make sure you're on the controls with me!". It was a
beautiful take-off, and was followed by a very enjoyable flight over
the Crystal Basin, where he made slight banks to the left and right,
avidly watching the ball, to see if he could keep it centered!

It was a great flight, and one that finally left a happy impression,
rather than the depression of his life's passion, only being a memory.
Although, I still think there was a little of that...

When we got back to the airport, there were a couple of old-timers
standing by a bright-yellow "Pietenpol". A conversation was struck up
and it became clear (I haven't read the regs, so I'm only recounting
the conversation), that he was still a legal Sport Pilot (since he
hadn't been denied a medical) and just needed a BFR and check-ride in
his sports plane of choice...

My question to the group is related to any sports pilot associations in
the Sacramento area, as well as any clarifications on qualifications
that might be being overlooked? He's got many hours in Citabria's and
Air-knockers and would love to get up there for maybe one last hurrah
(retire by choice and not by circumstance)!

Does anyone know of any sports rentals in the area? Instructors?
General over-sights in this endeavor?

Helping make this happen would sure put an exclamation point on the
life of a man who is well deserving!

Thanks and best regards,
Todd

Old September 26th 05, 10:11 PM
ET

"three-eight-hotel" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

I don't know the answers to your other questions about SP rentals etc
near Sacramento, but your buddy does not need a checkride to fly as a
Sport Pilot. He needs a BFR, it does not have to be in a sportplane as
long as he confirms with the CFI that the CFI will actually be PIC.

Now, of course, we all know he will WANT a check-OUT in the plane he
wants to fly, and I'm pretty sure that's what you meant, but I did'nt
want others reading the thread to think that a current PPL with an
expired medical had some kind of checkride to take advantage of his
sport pilot privaleges.

I know of currently only 2 places for sure that rent Light Sport
Qualified planes (I'm sure there is more...) 1) Sunrise aviation at John
Wayne Airport (SNA) has a SP qualified cub to rent after a proper
checkout, and St. Charles Flying Service near St. Louis, MO has a new
sLSA SportStar.

Both a bit of a trip from your area, but the list is growing and many of
the 30+ brand new sLSAs that were sold at oshkosh were sold to flight
schools and will be delivered between now and January. --
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old September 26th 05, 11:00 PM
three-eight-hotel

Now, of course, we all know he will WANT a check-OUT in the plane he
wants to fly, and I'm pretty sure that's what you meant, but I did'nt
want others reading the thread to think that a current PPL with an
expired medical had some kind of checkride to take advantage of his
sport pilot privaleges.

You're absolutely right... I did mean "check-OUT"... Thanks for
clarifying that!

it does not have to be in a sportplane as
long as he confirms with the CFI that the CFI will actually be PIC

That's good to know! I'm sure he will be excited to know that he can
find
any flight instructor in the area who is willing to act as PIC of an SP
or
non-SP and become current. From there, it's just a matter of checking
out in an available SP!

Thank you for the feedback! I look forward to hearing from others in
the
area that might be aware of SP's for rent.

Best Regards,
Todd