Cold is Good!

Old December 11th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Cold is Good!

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

Too far back! Try 1991....

http://www.alyon.org/generale/theatr.../rocketeer.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102803/

That is the one I was thinking about, but I got the name wrong.

I liked it OK; kinda' brainless fluff, but sometimes that's where my head is at!
Jim in NC

Old December 11th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Kyle Boatright wrote:

Oh, and by the way, despite the incredible weather, there were no other
airplanes in the sky until I headed back to the field. Everyone else must
turn on their pre-heaters after they get to the airport. That just leaves
more sky for those of us with pre-heaters.

Yes, with a hangar and preheater winter flying is great. Only downsides
are that the Cherokee rear seat doesn't get much heat and sometimes
it's inconvenient to plug in at a cross country destination. Over at
Richmond Indiana they actually have a bank of electrical outlets at the
edge of the ramp.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old December 11th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

From imdb.com:

"1949's "King of the Rocket Men" was the first of three serials from Republic Pictures featuring a man wearing essentially the same rocket suit and helmet. The other two, both released in 1952, were "Radar Men From the Moon" and "Zombies of the Stratosphere."

But the best part, is this comment, also on imdb:

"The third serial, "Zombies," while not remade, is probably the best remembered since it marked the science-fiction feature film acting debut of Leonard Nimoy (later, Mr. Spock of Star Trek fame) playing Narab, a Martian zombie."

This I remember seeing sometime in the past few years. I think it was part
of a retrospective of Nimoy and/or Star Trek actors.
Old December 11th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kyle Boatright wrote:
It was under 20F here in Atlanta yesterday morning, but there was zero wind
and the sun was shining bright.

20°F cold? Not here. -20°F more like it. Then the airplane
REALLY performs, but the engine never warms up. Nor does the
Wichita-designed cabin heater. And TAS goes way down. Air's too thick
and draggy.
That cold air you have there was here a little over a week ago.
Temps reached -33°C (-27°F) and we quit flying. Now, for about the
eighth day, it's above 0°C (+32°F) in Chinook conditions, and warmer
in some of our towns above the 60th parallel than in Atlanta.
In Calgary the other day it reached 8°C (+46°F). No more
snow. Shorts and T-shirts everywhere. After -33, +8 is plenty balmy.

Dan, in Canada

Old December 11th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

"Rocketeer" came, went and was forgotten. Maybe unjustly so.

AJ

Old December 12th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
ups.com...

Kyle Boatright wrote:
It was under 20F here in Atlanta yesterday morning, but there was zero
wind
and the sun was shining bright.

20°F cold? Not here. -20°F more like it. Then the airplane
REALLY performs, but the engine never warms up. Nor does the
Wichita-designed cabin heater. And TAS goes way down. Air's too thick
and draggy.
That cold air you have there was here a little over a week ago.
Temps reached -33°C (-27°F) and we quit flying. Now, for about the
eighth day, it's above 0°C (+32°F) in Chinook conditions, and warmer
in some of our towns above the 60th parallel than in Atlanta.
In Calgary the other day it reached 8°C (+46°F). No more
snow. Shorts and T-shirts everywhere. After -33, +8 is plenty balmy.

Dan, in Canada

You know, the 20F wasn't cold here Saturday morning. The sun was shining
fairly strong and there was no wind. Now if it had been cloudy and/or windy,
and/or damp, 20F is bad... As far as temperatures go, the oil temperatures
barely made it into the green, but the cabin heat did just fine. As did the
bubble canopy, which really brings in the heat when the sun is out - Summer
;-( or Winter ;-).

-33C? No thanks. I spent a few minutes in a -40C flash freezer once upon a
time dressed in a thing shirt and jacket. No fun at all.

I'm thinking anywhere between 20F and 40F is ideal flying weather as long as
you have a pre-heater and the sun is out...

KB

Old December 12th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...

Kyle Boatright wrote:
[...]

I, of course, meant to write "thin shirt". I don't even want to know what a
"thing shirt" might be.

Old December 12th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

20°F cold? Not here. -20°F more like it. Then the airplane
REALLY performs, but the engine never warms up. Nor does the
Wichita-designed cabin heater.

Strangely, the ones designed in Vero Beach, FL work MUCH better.

We fly in light sweaters in temps down to zero -- and really the only
reason we're not in shirtsleeves is for crash safety. That Piper
heater will melt your tennis shoes to the floor, if you're not careful!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA