You know you own an airplane when...

Old March 22nd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default You know you own an airplane when...

wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:54 am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Because if you had immersed that switch in lacquer (sic) thinner or
brake cleaner you would have been out the same money. Either of these
solvents will dissolve the plastic case of the switch quite nicely.

Not the old ones. They had phenolic (urea-formaldehyde) cases that
tolerated laquer thinner. I suppose the newer switches with cases made
of ABS or something similar might not appreciate it. Isopropyl or
the brake & parts cleaner would be OK.

Brake and parts cleaner (as bought at the auto parts store) can vary
somewhat. You can get chlorinated and non-chlorinated versions, and in
some areas, the recipe varies to meet local air quality regulations.
"CRC Brakleen" comes in at least three different versions: one that's
almost all tetrachloroethylene (PERC), one that's a mixture of toluene,
methanol, and acetone, and one that's mostly acetone with a little
toluene.

With no other information, I'd probably try isopropyl alcohol first,
then electrical contact cleaner. After that I would try to figure out
what the plastic is before using a stronger solvent, and/or use a
stronger solvent with the knowledge that it might eat the housing.

Matt Roberds

Disclaimer: This is based on experience with switches and controls in
fixed installations. I don't have an A&P; I don't even have a TG&Y.
ome of this may not be allowable owner maintenance. Your mileage may
vary.

What Airplane Is This? John A. Weeks III General Aviation 18 July 10th 06 04:07 AM
Why Buy and Airplane? Jim Burns Owning 7 April 12th 06 05:30 PM
My airplane - NO MY airplane.... Casey Wilson Piloting 5 September 30th 05 06:41 PM
Which airplane? Ghazan Haider Owning 18 September 2nd 05 03:25 AM
What was that airplane? [email protected] Piloting 22 May 3rd 04 02:07 PM