1-26 Rudder for Marfa Landmark autographs

Old February 1st 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default 1-26 Rudder for Marfa Landmark autographs

Hello from Marfa in southwest Texas, USA.

The Schweizer 1-26 sailplane played a role in the early development of
Marfa, Texas as a Landmark of Soaring. Neil Armstrong earned his
Silver C here in his Schweizer 1-26 (prior to his longer XC to the
moon), and Wally Scott made some very long XC flights from Marfa in
his 1-26 in the early 1960's.

The dedication of the Marfa Landmark by the National Soaring Museum
will be on Saturday at 11:30 am, at the Marfa Airport on April 5th,
2008.

Our idea is that a fabric rudder (rounded shape) from a Schweizer 1-26
would make an ideal surface to record autographs of those attending
the Landmark dedication. I can pick it up at the ABQ SSA Convention,
or you could bring it to Marfa during our annual Wave Camp, March 29 -
April 5, 2008.

Please call Burt Compton at 800-667-9464 or email

For more information on the annual Marfa Wave Camp March 29-April 5,
2008 or the Marfa Landmark of Soaring dedication on April 5th, visit
the website:
www.flygliders.com Click on the "Landmark" button.

George Moffat, winner of the 1970 World Soaring Championships at Marfa
will be our guest speaker at the evening banquet, April 5th.

Any other suggestions for a suitable item with space for 100
autographs are welcome, such as a Cirrus rudder (as seen in the
soaring movie "The Sunship Game", filmed at Marfa at the 1969 US
national contest.)
Old February 1st 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Feb 1, 9:34 am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
[...]

The XX Open Cirrus rudder may be available from McLean Aviation(?) in
the UK, unless someone has bought the salvage.

Frank Whiteley
Old February 5th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Texas, for the NSM Landmark of Soaring dedication and our week of wave
camp fun ending on April 4 & 5, 2008, our list includes George Moffat,
Ben Greene, Johnny Byrd, Dick Johnson, Rob Buck, Bernald Smith, Bob
Ball, Bertha Ryan, John Joss, Jim Short, Peter Smith - - - but you do
not need to be "famous" to attend. Just ride the airlines to El Paso
or Midland, TX and drive down to the Davis Mountains and enjoy the
scenery. We'll show you a good time with VIP treatment at Marfa.

Ask for the "glider pilot" discount at the beautifully restored
Paisano Hotel in Marfa at 866-729-3669, and join us for a viewing of
"The Sunship Game" film on Friday night, then our reunion banquet on
Saturday night. Advance tickets required.

If you have any photos of soaring at Marfa to lend (for copying) or
donate, these will be added to the archives at the National Soaring
Museum.

Rides in my ASK-13 and DG-1000T will be available March 29 - April 6.

For photos of Marfa and more info on the activities, go to: www.flygliders.com
Click on the "Landmark" button.

Visit our "Marfa Soaring" booth at the SSA Convention in ABQ next week
- we'll see you there!

Burt

Old February 11th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Robert Mudd, ace composite glider mechanic at Moraity, NM, has donated
a Cirrus rudder for us to use for the autographs at Marfa, Texas,
during the pilot reunion and Landmark dedication April 4 & 5, 2008.
Thank you Robert!

A Cirrus rudder is significant as the Schempp-Hirth Open Cirrus was
the sailplane "XX" flown by George Moffat when he won the US Nationals
at Marfa in 1969, as documented in the soaring movie "The Sun Ship
Game". Co-star Gleb Derujinsky flew "CI". Both Cirri had wingtips
extended to 18 meters. George is seen in the movie sawing the
original tip off to replace it with the extension. A classic moment
in soaring caught on film!

About a dozen Open Class 17.7m Cirrus' flew at that contest in 1969,
including my father's ship "FC", which never left our family, and
resides in airworthy condition in my hangar at Marfa. Cirrus designer
Klaus Holighaus attended the 1969 contest at Marfa, and personally
visited with each new Cirrus owner to offer advice.

The Open Cirrus evolved into the prototype Nimbus in which George
Moffat won the 1970 World Soaring Championships at Marfa, first ever
held in the USA. George will be our guest speaker at the Landmark of
Soaring banquet on April 5th. Join us in Marfa for this reunion of
many of the pilots who flew here in the 1960's - 1970's.

On the road to the SSA Convention in Albuquerque,

Burt
www.flygliders.com

(US) SSA National Landmark of Soaring NLS14 Soaring 3 April 28th 05 03:25 PM
Marfa TX Larry Watkins Soaring 0 May 23rd 04 06:47 PM
Marfa Endorsement Robert de León Soaring 0 April 12th 04 06:01 PM
Wanted: 1-26 in Marfa Burt Compton Soaring 0 February 26th 04 12:54 PM
cursor city, landmark identification gonzo Simulators 0 January 13th 04 04:53 AM