We Need some help Carburetor for a C150.....

Old April 16th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gliderguynj

Default We Need some help Carburetor for a C150.....

The annual for our C150F unfortunately presented us with a curve
ball.... We've posted this on the C150-152 forum, and are cross
posting this here hoping someone has some ideas, a part or a lead for
us to follow....

MA3SPA 10-4894 carburetor

Our mechanic called today. While completing the annual inspection he
removed the inlet screen and upon reinstallation found that the
threads are damaged beyond use in the carburetor body. He suspects
that over time people have been turning it a bit tighter each year to
achieve proper alignment with the hose (rather than adjusting the
other connections) and it has thus stripped the threads.

It is my understanding so far from my phone calls that this cannot be
repaired. There apparently is no approved method to repair or replace
the threads.

I am also finding that the carburetor is apparently hard to find also.
The overhaul shops I have called so far have none in stock and can
only rebuild the one we have...but can't because of the thread issue. It
is probably worthless as a core because of the damage. Spruce has them
backordered as they have been waiting for months to receive their
order.

Anyone out there have any brilliant ideas? Is there potentially some
way we can repair this? Anyone have any suggested overhaul shops or
parts suppliers for me to call to try to find one we can buy? Anyone
have an extra one they may be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Doug and the Somerset Flying Club...
Old April 16th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 16, 8:02 am, gliderguynj wrote:
[...]

Precision Aeromotive, the manufacturers of that carb, have
sold the division to Tempest. FAA certification for the new owners
will take at least until November, so meanwhile parts are scarce. I
can't even buy a maintenance manual. Disgusting. This is government-
mandated safety, delayed by government.
There might be a shop with the appropriate helicoil tooling
to fix that port. Helicoils are used on many other aircraft
applications, including sparkplug holes and crankcase studs. Check
around.
And when they put that carb back on, tell them to READ THE
CONTINENTAL MANUAL before doing so. There are special lock-o-seal
washers on the intake spider studs that mechanics will either leave
off, or will tighten the nuts way too far, so that the spider can't
flex. Engine vibration then shakes the daylights out of the carb and
sloshes fuel out the bowl vent into the carb throat and the engine
runs rough, especially on acceleration. You can spend months looking
for the problem.

Dan

Dan
Old April 16th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
[...]

If it was on a homebuilt, I would be inclined to weld up the holes and then
just drill and tap tham again. On the 150, I just don't know and can only
suggest asking around. If there are any aircraft restorers in your area,
they may have a suggestion.

Peter

Old April 16th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

gliderguynj wrote:
[...]

Call or e-mail this guy.

D & G Supply/Ducarra Aviation

Tel 269-684-4440/800-446-8160
FAX 269-684-8375

I just bought an overhauled one from him for $900. $400 of that was core
charge.
Old April 17th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

Yea, the carbs I belive will be Orphined

You may want to spend some money and switch it over to fuel injection.... I
will be working with local DER and DAR for a field approval on my buck fifty
if i decide to keep it.

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/injectors.htm

Old April 17th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gliderguynj

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. We have contacted D&G and
our carb is being sent overnight as I type. When this is all
finished, we will be posting all the information we've been given in a
summary so that in the future this will be available to any other
pilots that find themselves in the same situation.

The response we've gotten on this forum and on the C150-152 forum was
overwhelming. Once again the aviation community has shown it's true
colors. Thank you all.

Regards,

Doug and the Somerset Flying Club
Old April 17th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 16, 4:31*pm, "NW_Pilot" service(Spam)@aircraft"nospam"-me-
ok-"spamer"delivery.net wrote:
Yea, the carbs I belive will be Orphined

You may want to spend some money and switch it over to fuel injection.... I
will be working with local DER and DAR for a field approval on my buck fifty
if i decide to keep it.

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/injectors.htm

As someone who has had an injector plug up, the concept of a single,
throttle body injector would make me pretty nervious. At least with a
port injection you have 5 or 6 cylinders taking you to the crash site.

-Robett
Old April 17th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Robert M. Gary" wrote ...

On Apr 16, 4:31 pm, "NW_Pilot" wrote:
http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/injectors.htm

As someone who has had an injector plug up, the concept of a single,
throttle body injector would make me pretty nervious. At least with a
port injection you have 5 or 6 cylinders taking you to the crash site.

I never really thought of these Ellison guys as throttle body "injectors".
More like a Weeping pipe in the airflow. Kinda like the TKS weeping wing,
but not. The pipe rotates 90 degrees and when the holes are facing the
airflow the fuel can't get out. Use the mixture knob to rotate the pipe and
the tiny bit of fuel pressure and the airflow not blasting into the holes
allows the fuel to mist out. Instead of a throttle plate they use a
guillotine type metal slide plate to reduce the throat opening. Weird
design.

Bendix PS5C carburetor john Owning 1 February 24th 06 02:09 AM
MA-5 Carburetor LongEZ Products 0 February 18th 06 05:38 PM
HA-6 Carburetor Info needed Stu & Kathy Fields Home Built 0 May 13th 04 06:05 PM
HA-6 Carburetor Info needed Stu & Kathy Fields Rotorcraft 0 May 13th 04 06:02 PM
Carburetor 172RG cuttlas Georg Himmeroeder General Aviation 2 March 18th 04 09:15 PM