waxing newly painted sailplane

Old June 26th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default waxing newly painted sailplane

On Jun 25, 9:36*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Jun 24, 1:26*pm, Brad Alston Brad.Alston.

wrote:
'ContestID67[_2_ Wrote:

;775724']-
*I use Mothers carnuba paste wax.
-

Be sure to use Mothers Step 3 which does not have any abrasives in
it.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05550-05750.html

OK, here are a couple of naive questions. Why use an automotive waxing
product (e.g. Mother's) rather than something marketed in the aviation
waxing application market (e.g., Aero Cosmetics)? Are they the same
thing is different packages?

Just joined the forum and probably have more questions than answers
right now!

--
Brad Alston

Does a painted surface (in this case its gelcoat anyhow) know its
flying or driving down the road? Since its gelcoat the place to look
might be boating industry. Many glider pilots I know are using
Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Carnauba wax since it goes on and buff's off so
easy. Thanks to Williams soaring for putting me and many others onto
this wax - it really is easier and quicker to buff off than other
Carnauba waxes. Although I've also used Mothers and Griot's Garage
Carnuba waxes on gliders and cars and think they are great as well.
But the Meguiar's is easier to use so means the glider is more likely
to get waxed and it seems to last as well as other waxes.

Were talking a wax here, Aero Cosmetics don't even seem to offer a
simple wax, only that spray and wash junk. Brad will be after a real
wipe on buff off type wax.

Darryl

Darryl,

the top coat material I used was Prestec 2781, and you're right......I
want to use something that wipes on and wipes off by hand, that is if
I don't get tendonitis so bad after all the wet sanding I've been
doing!

Brad
Old June 26th 11, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 6/25/2011 7:19 PM, Brad wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:36 am, Darryl wrote:

Were talking a wax here, Aero Cosmetics don't even seem to offer a
simple wax, only that spray and wash junk. Brad will be after a real
wipe on buff off type wax.

the top coat material I used was Prestec 2781, and you're right......I
want to use something that wipes on and wipes off by hand, that is if
I don't get tendonitis so bad after all the wet sanding I've been
doing!

What does Prestec recommend for protecting their product?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old June 27th 11, 05:05 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scholz[_3_] View Post
Am 24.06.2011 22:26, Brad Alston wrote:
'ContestID67[_2_ Wrote:
;775724']-
*I use Mothers carnuba paste wax.
-

Be sure to use Mothers Step 3 which does not have any abrasives in
it.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05550-05750.html

OK, here are a couple of naive questions. Why use an automotive waxing
product (e.g. Mother's) rather than something marketed in the aviation
waxing application market (e.g., Aero Cosmetics)? Are they the same
thing is different packages?

Just joined the forum and probably have more questions than answers
right now!

I talked to one of the manufacturers that sell stuff for cars, boats and
planes here in Germany (Poly-Lack, www.carlack.de) and asked about the
difference, as we have used both the car and the plane variety in our
club. They look the same, but the plane stuff ist slightly more
expensive than the car variety.

The manufacturer (actually also a pilot) confirmed that it basically is
the same formula, with a little more polishing (= abrasive) component in
the car variant, and more UV-protection in the plane variant. Makes
sense to me.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Finishing products for a polyurethane painted sailplane John Scott[_2_] Soaring 0 January 27th 09 08:29 PM
Waxing Poetic On Flying Jay Beckman Piloting 4 October 30th 06 05:17 PM
Polishing & Waxing Go Soaring 8 March 24th 05 02:15 PM
Waxing your trailer(New Thread) Pete Reinhart Soaring 2 March 19th 04 01:14 AM
Wing Waxing Marske Flying Wings Soaring 2 September 10th 03 02:59 AM