Parowan Safari

Old May 27th 15, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Parowan Safari

Does anyone know if there are any safaris planned to Parowan this year? How many gliders are needed to make it worthwhile to arrange a tug? I haven't been in years, and am itching to get back. Best time of year?

Thanks,

Matt
Old May 27th 15, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
D M[_2_]

At 04:17 27 May 2015, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any safaris planned to Parowan this

year?
How many gliders are needed to make it worthwhile to arrange a tug?

haven't been in years, and am itching to get back. Best time of year?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, John Templeton is basing a Cessna 172XP 210hp up in Parowan
for the month of june and July. He will tow with A MINIMUM OF 5 guys.
Doug

Old May 27th 15, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 9:17:30 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any safaris planned to Parowan this year? How many gliders are needed to make it worthwhile to arrange a tug? I haven't been in years, and am itching to get back. Best time of year?

Thanks,

Matt

I think June is best, flew there for several years in the '90's. Got my 1000K on June 19.
Old June 1st 15, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

That's good information John, thanks. For everyone else, Parowan is a terrible, terrible place to fly. I'd try to go somewhere else if I were you.

What kind of experience did you have at Parowan to make that statement? Parowan is generally considered to be a premiere soaring site.
Old June 1st 15, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

If you decide to fly in Utah later in the season, Logan's peak season is from July through the first week in September. Logan is generally north of the monsoon line. Tow plane available now seven days a week. The mountain soaring camp is full but plenty of room the rest of the season. Arts, theater, and opera for the crews as well as the local water park for the younger ones.

Tim
Old June 1st 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I assume that is a tongue-in-cheek comment. I spent 5 days there one year and flew three 750 km's and and chickened out of a 1,000 km (did about 875 km) do to winds and no crew. Not exactly like Manhattan for night life, but then if you are fly much, rest is good. Did see a lot of lighting while I was there.

Old June 1st 15, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Yes.
Old June 3rd 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:38:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 9:28:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
That's good information John, thanks. For everyone else, Parowan is a terrible, terrible place to fly. I'd try to go somewhere else if I were you.

What kind of experience did you have at Parowan to make that statement? Parowan is generally considered to be a premiere soaring site.

I'm always so high and the many airports are so close together and coincide with the good soaring weather that I have no idea if any of the many fields available are landable. I don't think anyone else knows for sure either.. It's a big concern that nobody talks about. And, there's basically no airspace issues until you get to SLC so oftentimes I get distracted by the stunning scenery while flying. That can be really annoying. The takeaway here is that I have some concerns and can be annoyed when I fly out of Parowan..

I can appreciate that being high may be of some concern, "What if I get low". I flew there for several years and ran several contests there. There were several land outs and no damage and easy retrieves, so I think that reviewing some of the contest flights will show that some of us "know for sure". Other than that I think I would trade being high and getting annoyed rather than being low and getting annoyed.

gkemp
Old June 4th 15, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:17:30 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any safaris planned to Parowan this year? How many gliders are needed to make it worthwhile to arrange a tug? I haven't been in years, and am itching to get back. Best time of year?

Thanks,

Matt

I loved flying my PW 5 there. I could take a 1,500' tow and head out for a great day of soaring. I was totally comfortable making fairly long flights. I hauled my glider 1,400 miles (each way) for two years- which shows how much I liked the site. I am now flying my Duo at Nephi, better suited for the longer wings.
Old July 11th 15, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I had the whole airport for myself at Parowan this week. Lots of OD earlier this week and than progressively better, with today being the best day with no OD.
I find it odd that Nephi is overbooked while Parowan is almost deserted. Soaring conditions and XC potential are very similar. John Templeton is now available full time to tow during each season (June-July) and is going to be available till the end of next week. So if you missed Nephi this year, it is not too late for Parowan. The forecast is looking great for next week. Give John a call if you plan to come.

Ramy

Who's up for a safari? [email protected] Soaring 6 February 24th 13 09:41 PM
Safari for sale Stu Fields Rotorcraft 10 December 7th 11 08:10 PM
OLC & Safari 5.0 dans Soaring 2 July 11th 10 04:50 PM
Parowan Safari Matt Herron Jr. Soaring 1 September 5th 06 08:39 PM
Minden Safari Steve Leonard Soaring 1 November 12th 05 08:37 AM