A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

L-13 AMOC

Old September 13th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 1:10:29 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Curious what it would cost to "ship a factory tech" to a small geographic area, put them up and feed them to do multiple jobs at one place?
Not sure the AMOC allows this, but doing 3 or 4+ in one spot may make it cheaper, maybe.
Just thinking out loud.

Too many special tools and processes required to do this modification. It isn't just rivet on a few parts.
UH
Old September 13th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

Fair answer, especially if big jigs are involved.
Figured I would ask.
;-)
Old September 14th 17, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

Slightly off topic, but how many Blaniks would fit into a container? Just curious.
Old September 14th 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 7:46:23 PM UTC-6, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
Slightly off topic, but how many Blaniks would fit into a container? Just curious.

The most gliders I've seen arrive in a single container were six PW-5's and involved some creative bracing. Three would seem about right for a 40ft. A few shippers will move the larger High Cube 45' and 48' foot intermodal containers between the US and Europe (if that includes CZ, hard to say). Appears the 53' currently only go between Asia and the US. Of course this could always change.

Whether someone could be creative with the height of the longer High Cubes, one could imagine getting 4 or 5 in a single container, but a sixth would be difficult.

From my experience for hull value insurance, professional packing and bracing is required. Been there, done that with a single L-23. The standard carrier loss coverage used to be something like $0.50/lb, but that's a long time ago, inadequate for most items.

FWIW, the forwarder we used from US to Argentina would not ship for individuals, only for 'companies'. Our glider club qualified.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley
Old September 15th 17, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

If you are really interested in how many gliders go into a container (modified for the purpose) here is a link to a photo essay I wrote last year.
Roy
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ybBYbmfD8/edit
Old September 15th 17, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

When I was the Schleicher rep (1974-1986) it was normal to ship six 15 meter ships in a standard 40' container. All 12 wings were placed above the fuselages which were on the floor.

This was in the day when most pilots built their own trailers. With the option of good Komet and, later, Cobra trailers the need to pack containers evaporated.

KS

Old September 15th 17, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

On Thursday, 14 September 2017 19:25:16 UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
If you are really interested in how many gliders go into a container (modified for the purpose) here is a link to a photo essay I wrote last year.
Roy

Thank you. That was quite informative. I'd not see the like, before.
Old September 17th 17, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:10:53 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.ssa.org/GovernmentLiaison?show=blog&id=4431

Good news for anyone in the U.S. with a nice, fairly low time L-13! The AD&C mod has already been approved under the EASA (and consequently by Transport Canada) but I don't personally know anyone who has made their L-13 airworthy again under that procedure, likely because of the expense. Call me crazy (and I'm sure many glider pilots will) but an L-13 is one of the few gliders I would be willing to own in place of my ASW-15. An L-13 was the glider that first caught my heart and made me get off my ass and learn to fly. I love looks of them and the way they fly, even if they are usually noisy and are only 28:1 with a polar that gives them the glide angle of a crowbar at high speeds.
Old September 17th 17, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]
external usenet poster

Default L-13 AMOC

Grietje and Francesco at the Australian Soaring Centre Corowa pack 6
gliders each into 4 containers. Blaniks wings are rather big though.
Maybe only 4 Blaniks.

http://www.australian-soaring-corowa.com/containers.php

On 15/09/2017 09:25, Roy B. wrote:
Roy

--
GC