Landing Gear Handle Interferes With Dive Brakes

Old August 25th 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Landing Gear Handle Interferes With Dive Brakes

I keep hearing that that is a good thing, but I beg to differ.Â* Some
times it's a good thing to be able to extend the brakes/spoilers in
flight without lowering the gear.

An example of the above is when you're cruising under a cloud street
and, through inattention or poor planning, you get a bit too high just
as you hit some powerful lift.Â* It would be nice to be able to open the
brakes if you're too far from the edge of the street without having to
fiddle with the landing gear.Â* I've had to do this in my LS-6a.Â* What a
wonderful gear handle design.Â* AND it's on the other side of the cockpit
from the brake handle!

My Stemme has electric gear but a god-awful warning horn and a pretty
long extension time.Â* It also has a very low gear door speed limit, so
landing gear is not much of an option for reducing altitude/speed
without a bit of planning.
--
Dan, 5J
Old August 25th 19, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Dan
The LS 3 -4 dive brake lever does allow you to deploy the dive brakes with the gear lever in the retracted position. BUT...To do this you have to put your hand in a abnormal position. Or the back of your hand will hit the gear lever.

I think this was a very good design feature and I'm sure it has saved many gear up landings. No electric power or horns or lights, just pain, that will get your attention when nothing else will.
Nick

Old August 25th 19, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yes, pain is a good motivator...

I would love to have a horn silence button which resets when the dive
brakes were closed.Â* We had one of those on the B-727.Â* It was reset
when throttles were advanced.

Old September 4th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Hi Dan, couldn’t find the thread where Stemmefires were mentionedso I though I would post this here.
You might find appendix C interesting regarding fires in this GFA AD.
http://doc.glidingaustralia.org/inde...700&Itemid=101
Old September 4th 19, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks Charlie,

It's getting late here so I'll look at it in the morning.