Question about Lightspeed 3G?

Old October 8th 04, 08:55 AM
Thomas Borchert

Kage,

Get some aviation
experience and come back to class!

Argument by authority sucks. But, nice try.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 8th 04, 03:25 PM
Andrew Gideon

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Yes. One of the key tricks is that it will only work properly when
connected to an intercom or radio, so that the headset mic will get
power. Also, I have found very different results with different phones.

Perhaps so; I've not tried it otherwise. But I don't see how this is
related to the problem I described. The person on the phone could hear me;
I'd a lot of difficulty hearing her. As I said, it was as if the "auto
mute" feature (which drops telephone audio in favor of radio audio) was
enabled even though there was nothing on the radio at that moment.

As for the box, the switch (in or out) gives you (or at least me ;-)) a
good indication of the status.

It sounds like you've a different battery box than I. The original box had
an on/off button which was in for on and out for off. In my current
battery box, the button doesn't operate in this fashion. Instead, it is
always in the same position, but blinking if on.

Also, with auto-shut-off, it doesn't
really matter...

That's a good point. If it weren't for the other button issue - the button
is too easily pressed by my knee - I'd probably not care.

- Andrew

Old October 8th 04, 03:42 PM
Peter MacPherson

Andrew,

No, I wasn't using the mute function. I used it again last night
with no problems. I think it's a great feature on the headset.

Pete

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Peter MacPherson wrote:

I've used the cell phone feature quite a bit on my 30 3G's in the
few months I've had them. I've used them on the ground to call
friends and pick up IFR clearances. When talking to friends I
always ask them how I sound just to see how it's working and
everybody says I come in very clear.

Do you happen to know if you've enabled the "mute" feature (which reduces
the volume of the phone when there's radio traffic)? I'm thinking that my
results will be better if I turn this off.

- Andrew

Old October 8th 04, 04:22 PM
kage

I believe you are wrong. The Bose headset I tried had symmetrical earcups.

And the Bose, however I loathe the company, does not fall apart in one's
hands.

So, expert, just what all ANR headsets are asymmetrical. Where's the DATA?

Karl

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Kage,

There is no reason for a left only headset.

Well, yes, there is. And an excellent one. All headsets with good ANR
have asymmetrical earcups, since ANR works much better with those. DCs
don't have them. Tried their ANR yet?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 8th 04, 04:37 PM
Peter R.

kage ) wrote:

And the Bose, however I loathe the company, does not fall apart in one's
hands.

As someone who has many hours on both the LightSpeeds and Bose, I agree
with you. The Bose are much better quality, but of course it comes at
double the price.

Based on my experience, though, if one values his/her time by the
dollar, a LightSpeed owner can quickly arrive at the difference in cost
due to headset downtime and time spent talking to LS customer service.

--
Peter

Old October 8th 04, 04:44 PM
G.R. Patterson III

kage wrote:

Do you have a Bose headset? Can't you just swivel the mike on it's
attachment, turn the headset around and place it on your head? Or are the
headphones not symmetrical, like the Lightspeed?

I have the Bose X. The microphone boom mounts on the side of your choice and points
forward. It does not swivel. The boom is flexible, so you can bend it around to the
correct position in front of your mouth, but a 180 bend isn't going to work. The
earcups are tilted to fit ears better, so the headset can only be worn one way.
Sounds to me that that is similar to the Lightspeed.

I also have a Bose Series I (which my wife prefers over all others). These can be
picked up fairly cheaply on Ebay. The earcups are directional on that also, and it
also uses a flexible boom mic, but the boom slides into a clip mount that mounts
pretty solidly to one earcup or the other. It appears to me that one could buy a
second clip, mount it to the other earcup, and switch the boom fairly easily, but I
have not tried this. The problem with the series I is that it's designed to run off
ship power. There *are* 12 volt battery packs on the market, but I have not tried
one, so I don't know how long batteries would last with one of these.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 8th 04, 04:49 PM
G.R. Patterson III

kage wrote:

I am looking for a deal on Bose. The best price I see is only about $50 off
retail.

Unless Bose has changed policies recently, every retailer sells them for the same
price. The only time I've seen a "sale" price was from Bose itself at Oshkosh. You
might find a deal on Ebay.

Old October 8th 04, 05:41 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter MacPherson wrote:

Andrew,

No, I wasn't using the mute function. I used it again last night
with no problems. I think it's a great feature on the headset.

Pete

Excellent. I'll try turning that feature off.

Thanks...

Andrew

Old October 8th 04, 05:45 PM
Thomas Borchert

Andrew,

In my current
battery box, the button doesn't operate in this fashion.

Oh, ok, I thought we were talking about the 3G box. Sounds like you
have the current 20XL box. I don't like that switch much, either.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 8th 04, 05:45 PM
Thomas Borchert

Kage,

The Bose headset I tried had symmetrical earcups.

AFAIK there is a designated left and right cup on the Bose.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)