Taking the pledge

Old March 4th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Default Taking the pledge

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 01:00:39 -0500, "Morgans" wrote in :

http://home.att.net/~marjie1/Cancels.htm

Lordy, I didn't know such an animal existed!

... Marty, you know about this stuff, don't you?

Sort of.

I'm on the "Big-8 Management Board," which is
responsible for managing the canonical lists
of the eight hierarchies (see my signature).

"Cancel wars" have been going on ever since
cancels were invented--long before my time.

Tim Skirvin, chair of the b8mb, uses PGP Moose
to cancel phony posts to the group he moderates
and to recreate posts that have been cancelled
by others. So, in a sense, I can't say that
cancelling messages is intrinsically evil.

Cancelbots are running all the time to try to
limit spam. They aren't as effective as Clean
Feed, which is a set of anti-spam measures taken
at the server level (I think).

I am personally opposed to trying to cancel
posts on the basis of hating a troll. Whatever
tool you use to make the troll's life miserable
can be used against you.

I heartily endorse killfiles, pledges, positive
posting, and patience. Reward those whose posts
you enjoy by replying to them early and often.
Ignore those whose posts you don't enjoy.

I'm speaking just for myself in this post, not
for the board. I've been reading r.a.p since
the spring of 1996. I didn't join the board
until fall of 2005. I like this group a lot
and I hope people can learn to filter out
what they don't like and enjoy what they do
like.

Marty

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old March 4th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

On Mar 4, 9:40 am, "Morgans" wrote:

Figures.

Note: Jose- not a team player.

Jawohl, mein furher!!

Old March 4th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

So Jay's pledge is meaningless. The real antidote to mxsmanic, Jay's
racial rants, and like kind? Do some flying and post your stories.

"Jay's racial rants"? More tripe from "Bob"....

:-(

It's people like "Bob" here that make MX look positively pleasant.
Everything in "Bob's" world is negative, everyone is out to get him,
and anyone who disagrees with "him" must be stupid. Worse, dissenters
must be "corrected", preferably in the most unpleasant way.

Resorting to slurs is the norm in "Bob's" world. There is no room for
counterpoint in "Bob's" world.

I would gladly take TEN Mxsmanic's to one "Bob". If personally
slanderous posts like this one from "Bob" could be eliminated, Usenet
would be a better place, and far more aviation content would be
presented here.

Sadly, my response will only give "him" the opportunity to produce
another vindictive, monotonal, off-kilter whine about all the "idiots"
who disagree with "him". But that, after all, is what makes people
like "Bob" -- and MX -- tick.

Have at it, "Bob". I can hardly wait.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

What about when MX is right and some "real" pilot is wrong?

mike

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.

Old March 4th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

No Larry... Do not read any desire into my post. Frankly the guys
posts do not bug me in the least. The constant barage of anti said
person posts bug me a whole lot more than the original posts. From
what I have seen his original posts are all on topic and most do raise
good questions. The immediate posts of "blah blah only flies sims and
never flown a real plane" in response are the ones which fuel the
problem.

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:40:30 -0800, Mike 'Flyin'8'
wrote in
:

Has anyone thought about using a program that looks a certain
individuals name and immediatly issues a usenet message cancel based
upon said users name and the newly posted subject?

So you're implying that you'd like to give the troll the power to
drive you to fraudulent behavior in a worldwide forum? :-(

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old March 4th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gregg Germain

Jay Honeck wrote:

I personally find this amazing (he truly doesn't bother me that much)
but, in the interest of keeping this newsgroup intact and (relatively)
harmonious, I hereby publically make the following pledges, and urge
others to join me he

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...
--
Jay Honeck

Aye.

Old March 4th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

The problem with your pledge drive is that some naive or altruistic
individual will always provide an answer, and therefore validate his
existence.

However, I agree to try, although insults and sarcastic comments at least
provide a measure of self satisfaction that are absent when he is just
ignored. Besides, his posts dominate the group, and are nearly impossible to
ignore anyway.

Perhaps on my next trip to France I should make a point of looking him up,
so we could have a personal chat.

Old March 4th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:32:53 -0500, mike regish wrote:

What about when MX is right and some "real" pilot is wrong?

The fabric of the universe will unravel.

--
Dallas
Old March 4th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
Jose is capable of independent thought.

If the herd want's to jump off the cliff, he has the good sense to go
his own way.

Restated, if the herd veers away from the cliff, he may still choose to steam
full speed ahead.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old March 4th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Restated, if the herd veers away from the cliff, he may still choose to steam
full speed ahead.

.... and invent aviation.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully

The NEW liquid spray Pledge - Pledge® Multi-Surface Clean & Dust Spray No Spam Owning 6 February 15th 05 05:50 PM
Lemon Pledge Gerry Preston Owning 15 June 18th 04 09:00 PM
Limitations of Lemon Pledge Jay Honeck Owning 36 May 6th 04 08:44 PM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM
I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE..... ArtKramr Military Aviation 19 October 24th 03 07:51 PM