Carrier Islands

Old November 19th 03, 08:22 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

Weiss once again misses a subtle reference and craps himself.

Well, you obviously are thinking of a P-3 other than the Lockheed

Orion.

No, I was teasing Gord.

Musta been so deep that it went humming right over my
head...cripes, that's been happening lately...hummm...

Quite a large on topic churn here lately.

Old November 19th 03, 09:17 PM
Cub Driver

Dan, you seem to have suffered a sever attitude change lately.
Something wrong?

Not at all! In fact, things are looking better and better: this Keith
guy I plonked took out 318 postings with him! Can you imagine how
much extra time that gives me each day?

I highly recommend Forte Agent to readers of this newsgroup, and a
generous use of its filtering capabilities. For $25 you are spared all
kinds of trash.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 20th 03, 10:12 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , ANDREW ROBERT BREEN
writes
In article ,
Dave Eadsforth wrote:
In article , ANDREW ROBERT BREEN
The Sea Hornet
did have handed engines, however.

The last museum worthy example of which was seen departing off the end
of a carrier (unmanned and engines stopped) as a catapult test.

Should have used the bugger who suggested it instead. IMO.

And I'm sure that the only debate we would have had would be which part
of his anatomy we would avail ourselves of to attach the strop...

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth
Old November 20th 03, 02:07 PM
Alan Minyard

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:01:55 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

"John R Weiss" wrote:

"John Keeney" wrote...

Or are you by chance thing of the P-2 Neptune which was a twin and did
operate in a limited sense from flattops?

No counter-rotating props there, either...

Plus there's very few twin P-2's too, most have are four engines.

Actually, the P-2V Neptune was a twin.

Al MInyard

Old November 20th 03, 03:49 PM

Alan Minyard wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:01:55 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

--cut--

Plus there's very few twin P-2's too, most have are four engines.

Actually, the P-2V Neptune was a twin.

Al MInyard

Yes AL, as my 'very few' indicated...most had four engines
eventually though.

When the RCAF got them in 1955 (P2V-7) they indeed were twins, I
logged about 110 hours in that configuration then later they were
fitted with the jets.

--

-Gord.
Old November 20th 03, 05:57 PM
Ron

Plus there's very few twin P-2's too, most have are four engines.

Actually, the P-2V Neptune was a twin.

Al MInyard

Depends which model of the P2V

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old November 20th 03, 07:59 PM
QDurham

Depends which model of the P2V

True. Later models of the P2V had two turning (piston) and two burning (jet).

Quent
Old November 21st 03, 06:52 AM
John Keeney

news

wrote:

"John R Weiss" wrote:

"John Keeney" wrote...

Or are you by chance thing of the P-2 Neptune which was a twin and did
operate in a limited sense from flattops?

No counter-rotating props there, either...

Plus there's very few twin P-2's too, most have are four engines.

Actually, the P-2V Neptune was a twin.

The Neptune came in multiple flavors: P2V-1, P2V-3 and P2V-5
were twins with various flavors of R-3350s. The P2V-7 on the other
hand had a pair of J34s to go along with its flavor of R-3350s.
If you start talking foreign version, the Japanese even had a turbo
prop version.
I don't have the production figures handy to check the statement
that "most" had four engines.

Old November 21st 03, 05:24 PM

"John Keeney" wrote:

The Neptune came in multiple flavors: P2V-1, P2V-3 and P2V-5
were twins with various flavors of R-3350s. The P2V-7 on the other
hand had a pair of J34s to go along with its flavor of R-3350s.
If you start talking foreign version, the Japanese even had a turbo
prop version.
I don't have the production figures handy to check the statement
that "most" had four engines.

Well, that was just off the top of my head John...seeing as how
there seemed to be many more -7's around than earlier marks and
they all seemed to have the jets...matter of fact it was so
widely believed that when some stranger at a flea market remarked
in my hearing range that the model P2V-7 he was looking at was a
fake because it had no jets I had to correct him.

The argument got quite heated and ended when I bet him (in a firm
voice) $100.00 (and produced it) that the RCAF had flown the
P2V-7 like that for awhile. (The fact that I have about 100 hours
on them helped my confidence)

He'll likely be more careful about loud public statements in
future...
--

-Gord.
Old November 21st 03, 07:36 PM
Alan Minyard

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:49:24 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

Alan Minyard wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:01:55 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

--cut--

Plus there's very few twin P-2's too, most have are four engines.

Actually, the P-2V Neptune was a twin.

Al MInyard

Yes AL, as my 'very few' indicated...most had four engines
eventually though.

When the RCAF got them in 1955 (P2V-7) they indeed were twins, I
logged about 110 hours in that configuration then later they were
fitted with the jets.

OOps, forgot about the "two turnin', two burnin'" jobs. Sorry bout that.

Al Minyard