Engine mixture guidelines

Old January 10th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert Chambers

Default Engine mixture guidelines

Or Gamijectors

C J Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:53:08 -0800, Thomas Borchert wrote
(in article ):

C,

I have. Some planes don't have EGT or other decent temp gauges. I used to
fly
one like that quite regularly, 172RG IIRC. (My own 172RG had an EGT gauge.)

Well, let me rephrase then: I have never seen anyone really recommending LOP
operation without an engine monitor.

:-)

Old January 10th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
vincent p. norris

The only things that start more arguments than flying "lean of peak" are
slips with flaps and a discussion of lift.

You forgot "running oversquare." I know two guys who have been flying
about as long as I have (50+ years) who are convinced they'll burn in
hell forever if the cruise "oversquare," even after I've shown them
Lycoming documents recommending it.

They know more about engines than the people who designed and built
them.

vince norris
Old January 10th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:47:59 -0800, vincent p. norris wrote
(in article ):

The only things that start more arguments than flying "lean of peak" are
slips with flaps and a discussion of lift.

You forgot "running oversquare." I know two guys who have been flying
about as long as I have (50+ years) who are convinced they'll burn in
hell forever if the cruise "oversquare," even after I've shown them
Lycoming documents recommending it.

They know more about engines than the people who designed and built
them.

vince norris

I debated "downwind turns," too. And you can always get a rise out of a
couple people here by asking, "Why is the Cirrus so dangerous?"

But if you really want a knockdown, dragout fight here, just mention, even
for a moment, the continual spelling of "lose" as "loose." I think that
started one of the longest and most acrimonious threads ever.

Old January 10th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Vincent,

You forgot "running oversquare."

Downwind turn? Treadmill takeoffs?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 10th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Dohm

But if you really want a knockdown, dragout fight here, just mention, even
for a moment, the continual spelling of "lose" as "loose." I think that
started one of the longest and most acrimonious threads ever.

My spell checker doesn't know either--as evidenced by the fact that she
slapped the crap out of me for even asking...

Peter ;-)

Old January 10th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Newps wrote:
C J Campbell wrote:

New what? Manufacturers? Engines? Planes? I don't know of any Cessnas, Pipers
or Beeches that provide settings for it. Or Lycomings or Continentals.

The Continental IO-550, which is by far the most popular engine now a
days, comes with LOP in the power settings. These come directly from
Continental.

Here's the dope from the people who design, build, suffer the
liability for, and have to pay warranty costs for engines that fail:

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...ngEngines.html

An excerpt:

"5. The exhaust gas temperature (EGT) offers little improvement in
leaning the float-type carburetor over the procedures outlined above
because of imperfect mixture distribution. However, if the EGT probe is
installed, lean the mixture to 100oF on the rich side of peak EGT for
best power operation. For best economy cruise, operate at peak EGT. If
roughness is encountered, enrich the mixture slightly for smooth engine
operation."

Another one from the same people:

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...erLeaning.html

....and an excerpt from it:

"First we must know that cruise power for Lycoming normally aspirated
engines is generally considered to be 55% to 75% of the maximum power
for which the engine is rated. At these power settings, the engine may
be leaned at any altitude. There has been confusion about the reference
to not leaning below 5000-feet density altitude. Remember that this
reference only applies to those power settings above the cruise range
- those normally used for takeoff and climb. Once cruise power has
been set, leaning to best economy should be standard procedure as
damage to the engine will not occur from leaning at cruise power
settings."

And one about running LOP:

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/supp...ps/SSP700A.pdf

Their website has a huge amount of info available regarding engine
operation.

Dan

Old January 10th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert Chambers

treadmills you say!

http://www.tapeworm.pwp.blueyonder.c...uff/runway.gif

Vincent,

Old January 11th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
vincent p. norris

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:54:41 -0500, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

But if you really want a knockdown, dragout fight here, just mention, even
for a moment, the continual spelling of "lose" as "loose." I think that
started one of the longest and most acrimonious threads ever.

My spell checker doesn't know either--as evidenced by the fact that she
slapped the crap out of me for even asking...

Peter, you ought to lose that spell checker; she has a loose temper.

vince norris

ROP masking of engine problems Roger Long Owning 4 September 27th 04 07:36 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Piloting 21 April 2nd 04 05:02 PM
Autorotation ? R22 for the Experts Eric D Rotorcraft 22 March 5th 04 06:11 AM