Discus CS grounded in France

Old September 8th 03, 11:01 PM
Marc Till

Default Discus CS grounded in France

French aviation authorities (DGAC) have just grounded the Discus CS,
because of an in-flight wing failure :
http://195.68.62.11/GSAC/ad_cns.nsf/...iques?OpenView

Apparently, it is not the case in Germany (nothing on the Schempp-Hirth
or LBA websites)

Has anyone got more news ?

Cheers

Marc TILL
Orsay, France
http://perso.club-internet.fr/mtill/
http://www.planeur-chartres.org/

Old September 9th 03, 02:50 AM
Guy Byars

I heard it was a high time glider in severe turbulence.

And that makes it ok?

Old September 9th 03, 12:13 PM
George William Peter Reinhart

Yep,
Makes you wonder doesn't it?
Where are the cut offs for High Time and "severe " turbulence that would
make it not OK to fly?
Currently flying a well aged Nimbus with over 1000 hours on it.
Should I be worried about my personal safety because of the airframe hours?
Are there some days I just shouldn't fly because the "turbulence" might be
"too high"?
All advice carefully considered.
Cheers!

Guy Byars wrote in article

Old September 9th 03, 02:04 PM
Mark Zivley

The wording in the english version of the French document says that
there was separation of the wing in normal operation with some
indication of a possible manufacturing defect.

Now, this may turn out to not be true, but if it is true this won't be good.

Thomas Knauff wrote:
I heard it was a high time glider in severe turbulence.

Tom Knauff

Old September 9th 03, 03:29 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Per the French Airworthiness Directive, "separation of the wing during
normal operating conditions, possibly the result of a manufacturing
defect."

Old September 9th 03, 09:43 PM
Guy Byars

I better check the spar splices in the 1-20 wing again! With a red line of
75mph, you can't be too careful.

Same happens as with a wooden glider.......

SF.

Old September 9th 03, 10:16 PM
Jim Vincent

Same happens as with a wooden glider.......

JJ knows that...after all, wood and fiberglass are both composite aircraft;-)

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old September 10th 03, 01:34 AM
George William Peter Reinhart

Ian,
I've got a copy of the same articles.
I used to think my Mooney was a pretty high time at 7200 hours until I
parked it next to the sister ship with 4200+ hours.
There is still the "turbulence" though, so I'm wondering if I should fly
only on days when there is no lift.
Cheers! (and still trolling)

tango4 wrote in article
I have a copy of Technical Soaring, the July 2002 vol 26 number 2 that
discusses lifetime predictions of compostie aircraft. The general
conclusions seem to be that "lifetimes far in excess of the current 12000
hours" and "a lifespan of 50000 ( yes fifty thousand ) hours with a high
level of safety" so your 1000 hour Nimbus is hardly out of the running in
period!

Ian

Old September 10th 03, 05:04 AM
tango4

Ahhh, now that is a completely different question. The material will last a
long, long time but if they haven't put any in the structure then all bets
are off!

Ian

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Ian wrote a lifespan of 50000 ( yes

fifty
thousand ) hours with a high
level of safety" so your 1000 hour Nimbus is hardly out of the running in
period!

But what if they didn't use enough glue?

JJ Sinclair

18m Discus Burt Compton Soaring 2 September 8th 03 10:52 AM
Discus Wing question John Galloway Soaring 6 August 23rd 03 07:52 AM
DUO DISCUS GROUNDED AS OF 31 JULY 2003 Eric van Geetsum Soaring 20 August 18th 03 09:23 PM
Duo Discus Tech note Thomas Knauff Soaring 25 August 9th 03 10:10 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM