Aerotow takeoff with Cirrus, aileron rudder use

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 27th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Default Aerotow takeoff with Cirrus, aileron rudder use

Hi all, new forum member, new transition glider pilot as of this
spring.

I just got a checkout and have done two flights in a 1970 Standard
Cirrus that our club owns. (This Cirrus model has the full flying
elevator s/n 70 I think)

I read as much as I could find on the web, thought long and hard then
went for it. Things went well the first tow. The second tow, my
right wing touched briefly on the initial roll. First time this has
happened to me. I got it up quickly and there was no yawing, so I
continued the flight uneventfully.

So, I have a question for any experienced Cirrus pilots. I've been
told that one needs both rudder and aileron combined to get a low wing
up during initial roll on aerotow. Furthermore the POH says not to
use aileron on takeoff! I don't understand either of these things. I
can understand both rudder and aileron for the first three seconds or
so if one has no wing runner, but it seems like I should just use
rudder to keep the nose straight and aileron to keep the wings level
in general. Especially after my speed is 15kts or more. This has
always worked in a Grob 103 and an ASK21 of which I have the bulk of
my hours.

.... akiley