A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Electrical continuity of control linkages and electrical instruments

Old June 26th 15, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Electrical continuity of control linkages and electrical instruments

I had the seat pan out of my glider and I noticed that there are several braided wires connecting the metal stick to other metal parts and the (-) side of the power distribution block, battery, and (via power distribution wires) to the (-) of the electrical instruments (with small fuses on each instrument).

I understand that this has something to do with possible lightening strikes and also minimizing RF interference for radio, transponder etc..

Can someone provide a better explanation (or a link)?

If lightening hits a control rod, what happens to the pilot holding the hot stick?

Old June 26th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 9:54:02 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
I had the seat pan out of my glider and I noticed that there are several braided wires connecting the metal stick to other metal parts and the (-) side of the power distribution block, battery, and (via power distribution wires) to the (-) of the electrical instruments (with small fuses on each instrument).

I understand that this has something to do with possible lightening strikes and also minimizing RF interference for radio, transponder etc..

If lightening hits a control rod, what happens to the pilot holding the hot stick?

I have a fiberglass glider with some steel structural members (no carbon fiber) ... if that matters.
Old June 26th 15, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 7:54:02 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:

Electric current WILL find a current path thru the glider in the event of a lightning strike. YOU don't want to be a part of that current path. These braids ensure that the current will go thru the control rods, which are capable of carrying that current, and not thru the pilot's body, or other parts of the glider that might disintegrate.

Tom
Old June 26th 15, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie
external usenet poster

Corrosion control??? All dissimilar metals at same potential....

Cookie
Old June 26th 15, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 2:36:24 AM UTC-4, Cookie wrote:

Corrosion control??? All dissimilar metals at same potential....

Cookie

Probably not so much for corrosion...but rather for static electric charge....all parts bonded to prevent sparks / arcs...to protect people and equipment.
Old June 26th 15, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat
external usenet poster

This may be the link you need:
http://tinyurl.com/p7af5ww (accident report, pdf)
Old June 26th 15, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

There's an explanation he https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...rame_handbook/

Vol 2, Chapter 11
Old June 26th 15, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 6:54:02 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:

...possible lightening strikes...

Nitpick:

* Lightning strikes with a flash of light

* Lightening strikes with a sawzall

Bob K.