Jantar (was Cirrus v ASW)

Old March 20th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jantar (was Cirrus v ASW)

Jeff,

A Jantar is a fantastic machine, with good performance
for the price. Shame you cant use one with a 'normal'
canoy, but really and truly a split canopy is of no
hindrence what-so-ever. With regards to tipping over
- its probably the least of your worries if you are
landing in a field where heavy braking is needed. If
you are about to run off in to a hedge/canyon/farmer
you can always groundloop or deliberately collapse
the undercarriage but obviously this increases chance
of damage.

If you can find a good one its well worth a look, and
the price is not usually too bad either, and you should
be fine with your budget.

Please dont over look the Cirrus, which although there
are rumours about its sensitivity, it comes down to
what kind of pilot you are. A ham fisted pilot can
make anything PIO, it just requires a bit of respect.

ASW19 is a favourite for me, preferably the B version.
Good performance and great first glider. Definitely
worth a look - big comfy cockpit, good handling, competitive
in club class.

When you do look at a glider, the trailer is as important
as the glider from a everyday useage and resale point
of view. Most Jantars I have seen have older trailers
(correct me if I am wrong) whereas 19s or Cirrus generally
have better trailers, being a bit more modern.

JR

Old March 20th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jono Richards wrote:
When you do look at a glider, the trailer is as important
as the glider from a everyday useage and resale point
of view. Most Jantars I have seen have older trailers
(correct me if I am wrong) whereas 19s or Cirrus generally
have better trailers, being a bit more modern.

I believe the Standard Jantar was in production until the early 90s, so
there are some newer ones around. Plus, a number were overhauled by SZD
during the mid to late 90s, then exported in new Avionics trailers,
which are quite decent clones of Cobras...

Marc
Old March 21st 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Jono Richards wrote:
When you do look at a glider, the trailer is as important
as the glider from a everyday useage and resale point
of view. Most Jantars I have seen have older trailers
(correct me if I am wrong) whereas 19s or Cirrus generally
have better trailers, being a bit more modern.

I believe the Standard Jantar was in production until the early 90s, so
there are some newer ones around. Plus, a number were overhauled by SZD
during the mid to late 90s, then exported in new Avionics trailers,
which are quite decent clones of Cobras...

I had one of these for seven years now. In addition to overhaul the
canopies of these are changed to the later model single piece canopy.
They seem to have been overhauled very well, but not at the SZD
factory in spite of the US importing dealer's advertising as such.

Avionic trailer that came with it has aluminum bottom and fiberglass
top shell. Tows like a dream, but plastic quality is not the greatest.
I am still quite happy with it.

Henryk Birecki
Old March 22nd 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Andy wrote:
Jono Richards wrote:
Jeff,

A Jantar is a fantastic machine, with good performance
for the price.

snip

My first "real" glider was a Jantar-1 (19m) which has performance
comparable to competitive 15m ships of the day. It flew well and I
completed many of my badges in this ship. The fuselage is the same as
the earlier standard Jantars. Mine had the two-piece canopy which
isn't as convenient as a hinged one, but manageable.

The fit and finish weren't perhaps up to those of the German gliders,
but it sure was strong. The main gear looks like it belongs on a
Soviet-era tractor and the brake worked quite well.

Until I got hangar space, nothing cleared the field of volunteer
riggers faster than the appearance of my trailer. The one-piece wing
panels are heavy! The 15m wings are lighter, of course, but still
pretty substantial.

Jantars are not for everyone, but can be a cost-effective way of
getting into your own ship. Make sure you get a good trailer and have
a plan to rig - a one-man rigger, strong friends or a strapping
teenager.

Mike

Cirrus demo Dan Luke Piloting 12 December 4th 05 05:26 AM
New G-1000 182 & Cirrus SR-22 GTS Dan Luke Owning 22 June 27th 05 07:18 PM
New G-1000 182 & Cirrus SR-22 GTS Dan Luke Piloting 24 June 27th 05 07:18 PM
Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed. C J Campbell Piloting 122 May 10th 04 11:30 PM