Filing with a STAR

Old October 12th 04, 12:24 AM
John Clonts

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message om...
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message ...
I'm going to be flying from ROC to BAF weekend after next. Just plugging
the end points into Aeroplanner gives me a nice simple route V2 ALB V146,
but I see that BAF has a STAR, SWEDE ONE. It's a bit longer than the
simple route, and since I've never flown that direction I don't know if I
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that, how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

Its pretty rare that a STAR is actually given to a non-jet aircraft
though. Usually they want us away from the STAR so we don't get in the
way.

-Robert

We almost always get the BLUBELL 1 STAR going into a variety of airports in the Houston area, from the
Northwest, whether we file for it or not.

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old October 12th 04, 02:55 AM
Brenor Brophy

Its pretty common to get the FERNANDO FIVE arrival into Santa Monica coming
in from the north.

-Brenor

Old October 12th 04, 11:01 AM
Brad Salai

I'm still studying for the rating, so I've never done this, but can't you
just say "no SIDS, no STARS" in the remarks, and they can't give it to you.

Brad

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
So Linus, what are we doing tonight?

Old October 12th 04, 11:40 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Brad Salai" said:
I'm still studying for the rating, so I've never done this, but can't you
just say "no SIDS, no STARS" in the remarks, and they can't give it to you.

If they want you along the STAR, then all this will mean is that you will
have to copy and read back a full route clearance (which will look
suspiciously like the textual description of the STAR) instead of the name
of the STAR.

I've never understood why anybody would want to say "no SIDS, no STARS"
(or more correctly now, "no DPs, no STARS"?) unless they want practice
copying and reading back full route clearances.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a
Old October 12th 04, 12:57 PM
Roy Smith

"Brad Salai" wrote:
I'm still studying for the rating, so I've never done this, but can't you
just say "no SIDS, no STARS" in the remarks, and they can't give it to you.

That's a bit of sillyness left over from long ago. Assuming anybody
even notices the comment, they'll just assign you the full STAR route,
but instead of giving it to you as a STAR, they'll spell out each
individual waypoint and altitude. End result: more work for you, more
work for the controller, more radio bandwidth wasted, same clearance to
fly.
Old October 12th 04, 01:08 PM
Peter MacPherson

I think it's because they have a misconception that they won't be
given the DP/STAR if they put "No DP/No STAR" in the comments
section. I think if they realized they were going to get it anyway,
they wouldn't do it.

Old October 12th 04, 05:13 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:40:29 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I've never understood why anybody would want to say "no SIDS, no STARS"

Before they were incorporated into the approach plates you had to buy
a separate SID/STAR book. Some people didn't do it because it cost
more (which is silly), and my home base didn't carry them.

HTH.
Old October 12th 04, 05:18 PM
PaulH

"Brad Salai" wrote in message ...
I'm still studying for the rating, so I've never done this, but can't you
just say "no SIDS, no STARS" in the remarks, and they can't give it to you.

I did that on a recent trip to KLUK Cincinnati and the clearance
included a STAR anyway. I think sometimes this is for lost commm
purposes: about half way en route they cleared me direct to LUK and
finished with vectors.
Old October 12th 04, 08:39 PM
Matthew Chidester

That's a bit of sillyness left over from long ago. Assuming anybody
even notices the comment, they'll just assign you the full STAR route,

one reason we would put "no sids or stars" is because of the high alt. they
required which would be a problem for oxygen (for example here in Utah the
jammn four arrival puts you up at 16,000), performance wise we couldn't do
it as well as regs for o2 for crew.

usually when we did this they would clear us direct to the points or (if I
can remember) they would say "stay clear of terrain" which is basically
vectoring you and you're responsible for what's below.. (it's been awhile)

basically it's a good thing to put in if you cannot fly at those altitudes.

Matthew

Old October 13th 04, 02:52 PM
Peter R.

Robert M. Gary ) wrote:

Its pretty rare that a STAR is actually given to a non-jet aircraft
though. Usually they want us away from the STAR so we don't get in the
way.

Fly into Boston's Logan Airport from the west and you will always
receive the Gardner Three arrival. Well, perhaps in the wee hours of
the morning prior to sunrise you might not, but during sunlight and into
the evening you will.

--
Peter