Nose Tire

Old January 14th 04, 04:52 AM
Ronnie D. Hughes

I have first hand experience that braking is hard on tires. This
past Sunday while instructing a student pilot in short filed landings,
and after cautioning him not to skid the tires with the brakes, he
skidded the tires and promptly blew out the left main. Ruined
the rest of the day dealing with that. He just froze on the brakes
and I couldn't get him off the pedals quick enough. Rubbed a
silver dollar sized hole in the tire and tube.

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
(Dan Thomas) wrote in message

. com...
An old jet jock told me that the tires on the heavies are worn
more by braking than by the touchdown.

I'd tend to agree with that. I've been through quite a few main gear
tires over the years, but only 1 nose tire. And that nose tire was
replaced because of sidewall cracking. The tread was still in
excellent shape. I think that all that braking is tough on those
little tires.

I have a friend that wore out a set of mains on his taildragger in
less than a year (about 130 hrs.). It was his first year with a
taildragger and he tended to use the brakes a lot to control his taxi
speed. He's much better at it since he got the tire bill.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 14th 04, 03:54 PM
John Galban

"Ronnie D. Hughes" wrote in message om...
I have first hand experience that braking is hard on tires. This
past Sunday while instructing a student pilot in short filed landings,
and after cautioning him not to skid the tires with the brakes, he
skidded the tires and promptly blew out the left main. Ruined
the rest of the day dealing with that. He just froze on the brakes
and I couldn't get him off the pedals quick enough. Rubbed a
silver dollar sized hole in the tire and tube.

I see a lot of pilots (mostly students) screeching the brakes down
the runway. I think it's the lack of feedback from those tiny wheel
brakes. They are very unlike modern car brakes and you have to get
used to them. You often don't know if you're locked up until you hear
the sound. Even then, with all of the other ambient noise, it's hard
to pick out at first.

I'd hate to have to be the one who buys tires (or brake pads) for
trainers :-(

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Piper 6.00x6 Nose Wheel and Fork? mikem General Aviation 5 March 5th 04 11:34 PM
VW-1 C-121J landing with unlocked nose wheel Mel Davidow LT USNR Ret Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 05:22 AM
Canard nose pading Paul Lee Home Built 6 January 9th 04 07:36 AM
Tire inflation pressure Paul Lee Home Built 80 November 19th 03 07:56 AM
Nosewheel Shimmy and Scalloped Tire Redux, Plus Larry Smith Home Built 2 September 15th 03 04:03 PM