Lightspeed with Foggles question

Old August 18th 03, 10:33 PM
Rod Madsen

Default Lightspeed with Foggles question

I just bought the Hood Lamb and had to send them back. They simply would
not clamp to my David Clark H10-13.4 which have a narrower than usual band.
To their credit, they acknowledge this problem with DC's and suggest
friction tape to increase the girth of the band. Didn't work...to
rinky-dink for me. I replaced them with the kind with a head band. Not
sure they'll work with glasses, but I think they will.

Rod
"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
OK, I'd like to tap into the ingenuity of the group here.

We have Lightspeed headsets. We use Foggles for simulated
instrument training.

I don't like it, because the earpieces of the Foggles create
a sound gap.

I saw a cool product for IFR training which clipped onto
the band of a headset with tiny little bands, and flipped
up and down to limit one's view or move out of the way.
It's called the Hood Lamb (for example:
http://www.pilotshop-usa.com/store/i...PARTMENT_ID=78

Unfortunately, it only fits on headsets with steel bands,
like DC's or Sigtronics.

It looked like something a clever chap ought to be able
to duplicate with a bit of ingenuity, given the requisite
parts -- some kind of swivel, and some kind of clamp which
would fit the wider plastic band of the Lightspeed headsets.

There is a clever chap in our house.

Can anyone suggest a source of little clamps and the like?
(ie a widget catalog?)

Thanks!
Sydney

Old August 18th 03, 10:34 PM
Jim

Hi Sydney,
I've got Lightspeeds and although the noise was never a problem, the way
they press the bows of the foggles into my brain starts to bother me after
awhile. I've often thought about buying a cheap pair of wire frame
sunglasses and cutting the bows off them, then also cutting most of the bows
off the foggles, leaving the corner pieces of course. Then I thought of
drilling several holes in the side pieces of the foggles and weaving the
wire frame bows or attaching them to the foggles somehow. Just an idea that
admittingly needs some work but it would make the space between the earcup
and your head smaller.

--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old August 18th 03, 10:45 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Snowbird wrote:

We have Lightspeed headsets. We use Foggles for simulated
instrument training.

Jeppshades work with Lightspeed headsets and there's nothing to
interrupt the ear seal.

If you figure out a way to hook a hoodlamb to LS, let me know.
I was inspired by the hoodlamb and made something similar out of
a folded piece of cardboard and some rubber bands with home-made
clips to attach to the headset. I used it for my private but it
lacked the easy flip-up/flip-down you'd get with a real hoodlamb.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 18th 03, 10:45 PM
Gary L. Drescher

That looks like a cool device. Thanks for posting the pointer!

I've been dissatisfied with Foggles too, both because of the discomfort of
putting the stems under the headset (I wear contacts instead of glasses, and
use Shields sunglasses that have a string instead of stems, so only Foggles
present this problem for me), and also because they don't really limit my
outside vision adequately.

I'd been meaning to try to find or devise some alternative, but so far this
year I've been able to stay current just by shooting approaches in benign
IFR, so I've kind of forgotten about the foggles.

(Sorry, no idea about the widget catalog.)

--Gary

Old August 18th 03, 10:50 PM
Paul Mennen

I also have the Hood Lamb. I think it is the greatest view
limiting device I have ever tried.

I also have two Sennheiser ANR headsets which like your Lightspeeds
will not work with the Hood Lamb.

May I suggest a very low tech but pragmatic solution?

What headsets did you have before getting the ANRs? If you are like
me and many others you probably had David Clarks are similar
work alikes. Just reserect on of those and use it for IFR training.
(Older ones are also available cheap because of the great movement
towards ANRs). Like most people, I don't do hood flying for more
than an hour or two at a stretch, so the slightly higher noise
of the passive headsets is not really a problem.

~Paul

Old August 18th 03, 11:03 PM
Ray Andraka

I've had a hoodlamb since the early '90s, and I love it. It doesn't fit on my
DC headset (don't recall the number, but it is the one with a wide plastic
toothed thing instead of stirrups). When I go for training, I just pull out one
of the better pairs of sigtronics S20's and use them with the Hoodlamb. Figure
I can put up with the headset for the couple of hours of training a year. I got
the white hoodlamb, didn't care for the black one, got too dark inside. I also
cut the horns off the bottom of the view port, it was too hard to read charts
with them there.

"Snowbird" wrote in message
[...]

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950
email
http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old August 19th 03, 03:37 AM
Robert Henry

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...

I use the ASA clip to sunglasses, folding up/down view limiting device
(overcasters). Light and cheap (though more expensive than they need to be
for a piece of plastic - the joy of aviation), easy to flip on or off. And
yes, I have an old frame with no lenses for "low light" flights.

--

Bob
PP-ASEL-IA, A/IGI

Old August 19th 03, 03:40 AM
Snowbird

Stan Gosnell wrote in message ...
My personal device is a flip-up type, which attaches to my glasses the way
flip-up clipon sunglasses do.

Yeah, I'm really tempted by these, but I prefer to wear contact lenses
when flying for better peripheral vision.

Our CFI doesn't like pilots he flies with to use hoods. Apparently
he had a near-miss involving the blind spot they create. Can't argue
with that.

I know of one pilot who has made foggles
from some wrap-around safety glasses

That's what mine a old scratched-up safety glasses with an
area of the lens taped over, then attacked w/ sandpaper and a dremel
tool.

For clamps, check the local home-improvement
store or Sears hardware store. You'd be surprised at the stuff you can
find there, if you spend some time looking.

Didn't see anything juicy at Home Depot, but I'll check Sears
and yeah, I coulda looked more and harder at Home Depot.

Thanks for input, Stan.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 19th 03, 03:45 AM
Snowbird

"Paul Mennen" wrote in message ...

May I suggest a very low tech but pragmatic solution?

What headsets did you have before getting the ANRs?

Flightcom Eclipse. Even wider band and less chance of
fitting than Lightspeed. So afraid your pragmatic solution
won't work for me

If you are like
me and many others you probably had David Clarks

I have a broad head (some might say "fat" heh heh) and
Dave Clarks are "Dave Clamps" to me. I know people who
own Dave Clamps but I don't think I could stick 'em,
even for an hour .

They'd make a good distraction though.

Cheers,
Sydney

A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Poly Dope Question Michael Home Built 3 January 29th 04 07:10 AM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM
Lightspeed -- Was:Oshkosh 2003 Redux Jack McAdams Home Built 8 August 14th 03 03:19 PM