Warrior cruise RPM settings

Old October 4th 05, 05:34 PM
lardsoup

Default Warrior cruise RPM settings

I rent a Warrior from a local FBO and usually set the RPMs to 2400 in
cruise. It gets about 110kts at
2400. But that seems too slow. Heck I've been getting 110kts from one of
their C152s. Rereading the
POH I see that the cruise RPM settings can be 2500 or 2600. So I'm curious.
Where do others run their
Warriors while in cruise. I'm not concerned about fuel burn because fuel is
included in the rental price
and my typical flight is around 2 hours. I know an old Warrior is no SR-71,
but I want to at least try for
some more speed. Thanks.

Old October 4th 05, 05:53 PM

In my experience with rental Warriors, 110kt is about right considering
these planes often have tired higher time engines subjected to endless
T&G landings and are often missing wheel fairings. However, I've flown
one with a new engine (no wheel fairings) and saw 120 indicated in
level cruise.

Old October 4th 05, 08:16 PM
Jay Honeck

their C152s. Rereading the
POH I see that the cruise RPM settings can be 2500 or 2600. So I'm curious.
Where do others run their
Warriors while in cruise. I'm not concerned about fuel burn because fuel is
included in the rental price
and my typical flight is around 2 hours. I know an old Warrior is no SR-71,
but I want to at least try for
some more speed. Thanks.

We ran our old Warrior pretty much wide open most of the time, unless
we weren't in a hurry. The Lycoming O-320 is a bulletproof, detuned
engine that was designed to turn 2700 RPM all the way to TBO -- and
does.

Unless you're trying to save gas, there's not much point in throttling
back in a Warrior.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 4th 05, 11:54 PM
Nick

When I used to rent a Warrior 160hp, I would usually fly it with the
throttle firewalled.

Does the Warrior you fly have wheel pants on? If not that would cost
you a least 5 knots.

Nick
PA28-180 'D'

Old October 5th 05, 08:28 AM
Seth Masia

This is one reason I no longer lease back my airplane -- because people ran
it without regard for fuel burn, and the FBO charged me for the waste. When
I fly it, I get 150knots at 10.5 gph, but I saw renters burn 40 gal every
three hours. Nuts.

Seth
Comanche N8100R

Old October 5th 05, 09:43 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Seth Masia wrote:
This is one reason I no longer lease back my airplane -- because people ran
it without regard for fuel burn, and the FBO charged me for the waste. When
I fly it, I get 150knots at 10.5 gph, but I saw renters burn 40 gal every
three hours. Nuts.

I generally run at 65-75% power, with whatever fuel burn keeps the mags from
run the power at whatever combination will allow the slowest RPM (for reduced
noise). 2100 RPM is quite a bit easier on my ears than 2400 RPM.... and I can
still pull 65% power if I don't go too high.

I never saw much sense in running balls to the wall on a rental. Sure, I'm
paying for it, but I'm also depending on it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Old October 5th 05, 12:22 PM
lardsoup

No wheel pants. Thanks for the replies. Gonna throttle up next time I fly.

Old October 5th 05, 01:40 PM
Seth Masia

See? Made my point for me. There's economy power, and speed power . . .
and rental power.

Seth

Old October 5th 05, 02:41 PM

I get 150knots at 10.5 gph,

Hmmpf. Gotta get me one of those Comanches. The Lance I fly burns 16gph
at that speed and I'm carrying two extra empty seats... Is that a
PA-24-180?

This is one reason I no longer lease back my airplane

I can think of several other reasons not to leaseback a Comanche - fuel
being the least of them grimace

Old October 5th 05, 02:49 PM
John Clonts

I generally run at 65-75% power, with whatever fuel burn keeps the mags from
run the power at whatever combination will allow the slowest RPM (for reduced
noise). 2100 RPM is quite a bit easier on my ears than 2400 RPM.... and I can
still pull 65% power if I don't go too high.

What does "mags loading up" mean?

Thanks,
John