Private piloting in Canada

Old August 8th 05, 10:39 PM
Ghazan Haider

Default Private piloting in Canada

I have a few questions about private piloting (the PPL license) that I
havent seen answered anywhere. Maybe I'll learn about them during
training, but whether or not I'll train depends on these answers:

(1) Is there a central repository of rental locations other than the
yellow pages?

(2) After the ground training, do you have scheduled time with a
trainer regularly, or do you just call a day or two in advance to check
if the trainer is available to fly with?

(3) Once the 20 hours with the trainer is complete, can you go to any
FBO, rent the airplane and fly around to complete the remaining hours?
Do you have to stick with an FBO?

(4) Do the required 40 hours have to be in clear overcast weather or do
you get to experience windy weather/rainy/night?

(5) What is the difference between the recreational pilots license and
the PPL?

(6) Can you fly ultralights and wing gliders with a PPL?

(7) Is the PPL recognized worldwide? Can I just rent out aircraft in
Russia, Mexico, Pakistan, UK, Spain, Brazil etc?

(8) Can you also fly aircraft with floats?

(9) I understand to fly aircraft weighing more than 12500 lbs, you have
to test for that aircraft with a trainer for a few hours. Is this also
required for lighter but multiengine or turboprop aircraft like the
Cessna 208?

(10) Will I be able to rent any airplane under 12500lbs from any FBO or
do each FBO put their own requirements (like 100 flight hours)?

(11) Can I rent something to do a trans-atlantic? (after some real
x-country experience)

(12) Can I take aircraft into the arctic as cold as it gets?

(13) Is there a limit of the distance I can go or the number of people
or weight I can carry, or the altitude or speed beside the aircraft's
certified performance?

(14) Can I fly jets? If so is anyone renting out?

(15) Can I take friends skydiving?

(16) Are some of these questions answered in a FAQ I can just check?

Thanks for your answers.

Old August 8th 05, 11:56 PM
Peter Duniho

"Ghazan Haider" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a few questions about private piloting (the PPL license) that I
havent seen answered anywhere. Maybe I'll learn about them during
training, but whether or not I'll train depends on these answers:

(1) Is there a central repository of rental locations other than the
yellow pages?

No official place to find that information. However, the Canadian Owners
and Pilots Association has a wealth of information that will likely be
useful to you. The web site may answer many of your questions. The main
page is he
http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm

They have a directory of flight schools, which generally also offer rentals
after you get your certification:
http://www.copanational.org/non-memb...0Certified.htm

(2) After the ground training, do you have scheduled time with a
trainer regularly, or do you just call a day or two in advance to check
if the trainer is available to fly with?

It depends on what works best for you. Flight schools don't provide any
sort of class schedule the way a college might. But it is usually easy
enough to set up a recurring schedule with your instructor, if that works
best for you.

Just keep in mind that weather may affect whether you actually get to fly
each of your scheduled lessons. Your instructor should either cancel the
lesson before you make the trip to the airport or (even better) have a
ground lesson prepared to take advantage of the time not spent in an
airplane.

If you are more comfortable scheduling lessons just a few days in advance,
you can do that. Keep in mind, however, that this may well lead to less
frequent flying, which will significantly increase the time you take to
complete your training, and it may also be difficult depending on how many
airplanes are available and how busy your instructor is. Longer-term
scheduling is better, as is flying at least two or three times a week.

(3) Once the 20 hours with the trainer is complete, can you go to any
FBO, rent the airplane and fly around to complete the remaining hours?
Do you have to stick with an FBO?

There should be no requirement to complete your training with the same FBO
and/or instructor with which you started. In the US there's not, and I
doubt Canada is much different. In fact, you should not hesitate to
consider switching instructors and/or schools if you are having problems
with the one you start with.

That said, you certainly don't want to switch very often. A new school will
not allow you to solo until you have done some kind of orientation and check
flight with one of their instructors; it's highly unlikely they would accept
the previous school's solo endorsement for the purpose of allowing you to
rent an airplane. So every switch does involve a certain amount of
overhead, not even counting the time it takes for a new instructor to become
familiar with you, your learning style, and your current level of progress.

(4) Do the required 40 hours have to be in clear overcast weather or do
you get to experience windy weather/rainy/night?

"Clear overcast weather"? What's that?

Again, I don't know the Canadian regulations specifically. In the US, you
can do your training in any weather condition, as long as the instructor is
qualified to act as "pilot in command" for those conditions. Some training
in "instrument meteorological conditions" may not count toward your required
aeronautical experience, but there's no rule in the US against training in
such conditions.

Generally, however, your instructor will want to at least maintain "visual
meteorlogical conditions", and will probably avoid the worst visual
conditions, at least until you are near the end of your training. Weather
interferes with learning the basic concepts key to flying, and so it's
probably counterproductive to try to train in poor weather.

As far as what "VMC" actually is, in the US it generally means that you can
remain 500' below the clouds, and maintain 3 miles visibility. The actual
rules are much more complicated than that, and depending on what airspace
you're in, the actual conditions may be a bit worse than that, or may have
to be better than that. But it's a good starting point for you, with
respect to where you are in your training (haven't started yet).

(5) What is the difference between the recreational pilots license and
the PPL?

In the US, the recreational pilot certificate prohibits various operations
that would be permitted with a regular private pilot certificate. Most
notably, no cross-country flights beyond a relatively short distance, being
able to carry only one passenger at most, and not being permitted to fly
into certain kinds of airspace. Some of these restrictions can be removed
with further training, and of course once you have your recreational pilot
certificate, there's less work left to go ahead and get the full-blown
private.

To further complicate matters, the US has just created a new "Sport Pilot"
certificate, that is kind of like the recreational, but in some important
ways is different. I don't know whether this is relevant to Canada or not;
as far as I know, Canada doesn't offer that certificate, and I don't know
how they would treat a US pilot with that certificate.

(6) Can you fly ultralights and wing gliders with a PPL?

I assume so. In the US, no pilot certificate is required for those
aircraft, and getting the additional training doesn't take that privilege
away from you. Presumably, Canada's rules are similar.

(7) Is the PPL recognized worldwide? Can I just rent out aircraft in
Russia, Mexico, Pakistan, UK, Spain, Brazil etc?

"Just"? No. You can't even do that within Canada. Any new FBO from which
you want to rent will, just as they do for new student pilots with previous
training, want to have you fly with one of their instructors to verify your
competence as a pilot.

Going to a different country depends on each country, but generally any
country that has a pilot certificate will also have rules that dictate how
you convert another country's certificate to theirs. I have heard a wide
variety of rules, from a simple rubber-stamp, to a detailed examination.

(8) Can you also fly aircraft with floats?

No. Seaplanes require a different pilot certificate than landplanes. The
add-on is not nearly as difficult as the initial training, but it does
involve some significant new skills.

(9) I understand to fly aircraft weighing more than 12500 lbs, you have
to test for that aircraft with a trainer for a few hours. Is this also
required for lighter but multiengine or turboprop aircraft like the
Cessna 208?

I don't know off the top of my head for all airplanes. Multiengine aircraft
require a different certificate, just as seaplanes do. In the US a turboJET
[emphasis mine] powered aircraft requires a type rating (just like large
aircraft), but that doesn't apply to turboprop power aircraft like the
Cessna 208. The FAA (and so, I suppose Transport Canada) may require type
ratings for some aircraft other than large or turbojet powered ones, but
AFAIK all of the single-engine turboprop airplanes don't fall under such a
restriction in the US.

Of all the regulations in the FAA/TC book, these are some that I would not
at all be surprised to find significant differences.

(10) Will I be able to rent any airplane under 12500lbs from any FBO or
do each FBO put their own requirements (like 100 flight hours)?

Each FBO has their own requirements. This is generally driven by their
insurance carrier, but they may have other reasons as well. Generally
speaking, the smaller or slower the airplane, the fewer restrictions.

You are unlikely to be able to get anywhere close to the large aircraft
limit (12,500 pounds) without some very specialized training, and extensive
flight experience. Even airplanes in the 3000-4000 pound range won't be
within reach immediately after getting your private pilot certificate.

(11) Can I rent something to do a trans-atlantic? (after some real
x-country experience)

Possibly. It all depends on the FBO, and they will almost certainly want to
do a fair amount of hand-holding to ensure that you have properly prepared
for the flight. Trans-atlantic in small planes is never easy, and doing it
in a rental just adds to your complexity of planning.

That said, it wouldn't surprise to find an FBO that actually specializes in
such flights, especially in the Nova Scotia area for example. There is a
small, but probably solid business, in such flights.

(12) Can I take aircraft into the arctic as cold as it gets?

Flight into the Arctic involves a whole slew of other problems. It is
theoretically possible, but likely involves at least an order of magnitude
or two greater complexity and planning requirements than the trans-atlantic
flight (which is itself no walk in the park).

I would be surprised to find an FBO that allows that sort of flight, except
under very narrow and unique circumstances.

That said, keep in mind that there certainly are extensive areas in Northern
Canada where flight is possible. Flying to the North Pole is one thing;
flying near the Arctic Circle is something else, and much more likely.
Planning can still be complicated, but this is true any time a flight
extends away from populated areas.

(13) Is there a limit of the distance I can go or the number of people
or weight I can carry, or the altitude or speed beside the aircraft's
certified performance?

Sort of. In the US, you can only fly above 18,000' with an instrument
rating or a waiver from the FAA. As far as I know, waivers are generally
not given to powered aircraft (the only time I've heard of them being used
is for gliders under very specific atmospheric conditions). Also, flying an
airplane with a service ceiling higher than 25,000' requires special
high-altitude training. In addition, there are requirements for the use of
supplemental oxygen above 12,500' in the US.

As far as weight goes...if you are qualified for the weight of the airplane,
then you are permitted to fly it. Same thing with number of people.

As far as speed goes, different airspaces do have different speed
restrictions. But those restrictions are high enough that they are relevant
only for very high performance airplanes, and they don't apply to the use of
the airplane generally, just in airspace around terminal areas (that is,
near airports, or below a certain altitude).

(14) Can I fly jets? If so is anyone renting out?

In the US, not without a type rating. Canada is probably similar. Renting
a jet? Never heard of it.

(15) Can I take friends skydiving?

Don't know. I suspect that as long as you aren't getting paid, a private
pilot certificate is just fine.

(16) Are some of these questions answered in a FAQ I can just check?

Many of them can be answered by reading the pertinent regulations. This
would be a good place to start:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/re.../cars/menu.htm

Granted, it can be hard to read and find what you're looking for, when
you're not a pilot and are unfamiliar with the regulations. But that's the
authoritative source. On the bright side, I find the Canadian regulations
to be better organized than the US regulations.

The Transport Canada website probably has other useful information for you
as well. Start on the "Air" page (click on the button at the top, on their
navigation bar), and browse around.

Pete

Old August 9th 05, 12:27 AM
Dan Foster

In article , Peter Duniho wrote:
"Ghazan Haider" wrote in message
oups.com...

(12) Can I take aircraft into the arctic as cold as it gets?

Flight into the Arctic involves a whole slew of other problems. It is
theoretically possible, but likely involves at least an order of magnitude
or two greater complexity and planning requirements than the trans-atlantic
flight (which is itself no walk in the park).

My own take on it:

If Mr. Haider is capable of camping out in the arctic region during the
desired time of year, for at least several days, then he will probably
have a better appreciation of some of the factors for arctic flying
including the survival aspects.

If he can not handle a survival situation, then he would be better
advised to reconsider arctic flying for another time, until one was more
experienced.

I say this, as having camped out in northern latitudes during the fall
and visited in the winter. Summer is between cool to pretty hot. Very
short 'spring' (if one at all) depending on latitude.

Winter flying may have one worrying about how one's own feet is not
going to freeze and require amputation. Engine heat may not be
sufficient to keep one's feet warm in winter flying in the arctic.
(Which is one of the many challenges involved.) Nevermind the oil
situation or engine start...

The arctic is something to truly appreciate -- its delights and beauty,
as well as something to fully respect what dangers it presents.

Arctic flying is doable, but it requires understanding, practice, some
mentorship (instruction), and experience. Doubtful something that the
recently-minted student pilot will immediately take on.

Still, the arctic can be a long way from rescue (in that unlikely
event), so one has to be prepared for possibility of needing to wait on
the ground for several days at most in case of a serious emergency.

Hence, the suggestion to be capable of camping out (and taking along the
appropriate gear, too) during the desired time of year for an arctic visit.
Your nearest neighbour could very well be easily at least 1000 km away.

That's in addition to the requirements the FBO may have (if they permit
such a rental at all) as well as Transport Canada, too.

One I recall is that a flight plan is required, even for VFR flight
plans, which makes more sense in the less populated areas. (From a
search and rescue perspective.)

Mr. Haider: I would recommend concentration on learning to fly, if you
are truly interested, and let the 'additional stuff' take care of itself
in due time, with experience. Many things are possible, with sufficient
time, money, and patience invested.

-Dan
Old August 9th 05, 02:08 AM
DJW

Most of the answers are in the CAR's (www.tc.gc.ca), but some help as
follows:
Ghazan Haider wrote:

I have a few questions about private piloting (the PPL license) that I
havent seen answered anywhere. Maybe I'll learn about them during
training, but whether or not I'll train depends on these answers:

(1) Is there a central repository of rental locations other than the
yellow pages?

Not as such, but as mentioned elsewhere, you can some info from COPA or the
Transport Canada website.

(2) After the ground training, do you have scheduled time with a
trainer regularly, or do you just call a day or two in advance to check
if the trainer is available to fly with?

You can do your ground school before, concurrently, or after your flight
time. I did mine concurrently, and that's probably the best. You will
also have some ground instruction before and after most flight lessons.

(3) Once the 20 hours with the trainer is complete, can you go to any
FBO, rent the airplane and fly around to complete the remaining hours?
Do you have to stick with an FBO?

It's not quite that simple - once you solo, which will likely be before
you've done the mandatory hours with the instructor, you'll still need to
do cross country, instrument training, etc. with an instructor. As well,
you won't be able to rent a plane as a student without signoff from your
instructor. As you get closer to completion, the instructor may just sign
you off for certain types of flights. Even after you get your license,
going to a new FBO or a different plane will require a check flight with an
instructor in many cases.

(4) Do the required 40 hours have to be in clear overcast weather or do
you get to experience windy weather/rainy/night?

You'll definitely fly in wind (if it's within the aircraft and your limits).
Visibility and ceilings tend to be below minimums in a lot of cases, so you
won't generally do much of that. As for night, that's a separate rating
here, so you likely won't do any night flying while working on your
license.

(5) What is the difference between the recreational pilots license and
the PPL?

The rec license requires less training, and limits privileges:
- no ratings except float/seaplane (in other words, day VFR only)
- plane limited to single engine, 4 seats
- limited to 1 passenger
- not valid outside Canada (so you couldn't fly to the US for vacation, for
example)

(6) Can you fly ultralights and wing gliders with a PPL?

Yes.

(7) Is the PPL recognized worldwide? Can I just rent out aircraft in
Russia, Mexico, Pakistan, UK, Spain, Brazil etc?

I believe that it's valid in any ICAO country, however, you'll need to get
checked by an instructor in almost any FBO that you rent from.

(8) Can you also fly aircraft with floats?

After obtaining a seaplane rating...

(9) I understand to fly aircraft weighing more than 12500 lbs, you have
to test for that aircraft with a trainer for a few hours. Is this also
required for lighter but multiengine or turboprop aircraft like the
Cessna 208?

You can fly any "low performance, non-complex, single engine land
aeroplane". This means that to fly anything with retractable gear, greater
than 200 hp, more than one engine, or on floats, you need a rating (either
a specific type rating for a certain aircraft, or a general rating for
planes of a certain class, such as multiengine).

(10) Will I be able to rent any airplane under 12500lbs from any FBO or
do each FBO put their own requirements (like 100 flight hours)?

It depends on the FBO and the plane. Every FBO will have a requirement to
demonstrate that you can fly the plane - kind of like an abbreviated check
ride. Basically, you go up with the FBO's resident instructor, and
demonstrate the basic manoeuvers of the aircraft (slow flight, stalls,
steep turns, takeoffs and landings), and know the "V speeds" and basic
operating procedures and checklists. Some FBO's will also have a "checkout
test" for low time pilots to force you to read the POH.

(11) Can I rent something to do a trans-atlantic? (after some real
x-country experience)

Not likely.

(12) Can I take aircraft into the arctic as cold as it gets?

Yes, but you are required to carry survival gear as per the CAR's. Some
aircraft have limits for low temperature as far as ground operations go, it
will be in the POH. depending on where you are, you don't need to go to
the Arctic to get cold in the winter.

(13) Is there a limit of the distance I can go or the number of people
or weight I can carry, or the altitude or speed beside the aircraft's
certified performance?

No. You do need to file a VFR flight plan or itinerary if you're going more
than 25nm from the originating airport.

(14) Can I fly jets? If so is anyone renting out?

You'll need a type rating for each type of jet. I don't know of anywhere
that you can rent one - if there is a place, I'm sure the minimum hour and
checkout requirements would be very onerous.

(15) Can I take friends skydiving?

I think this is mentioned in the regs - don't remember off the top of my
head.

(16) Are some of these questions answered in a FAQ I can just check?

The best thing to do would be to find a local flight school, and go up for
an introductory flight. In my part of the country (Ottawa area) they're
around $50. You go up for about 30 minutes, and typically get to take the
controls for most of it - the instructor will take off and land. You can
even log the time if you decide to go forward with training. After the
flight, most instructors are more than happy to answer any questions you
have. If you're in the Ottawa area, there are several schools:

Westair Aviation, Carp Airport (www.westair-aviation.com)
Ottawa Flying Club, Ottawa Airport (www.ofc.ca)
Ottawa Aviation Services, Ottawa Airport (www.ottawaflighttraining.com)
Rockcliffe Flying Club, Rockcliffe Airport - next to the National Aviation
Museum (www.rfc.ca)
Chapman Aviation, Arnprior Airport (www.chapmanaviation.com)
Smiths Falls Flying Club, Russ Beach Airport, Smiths Falls
(www.smithsfallsflyingclub.com - the instructors and bookings are managed
by Ottawa Aviation Services)

There are others on the Quebec side (at least one at the Gatineau airport).

Thanks for your answers.