Laminating an aileron spar

Old March 28th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

Default Laminating an aileron spar

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
On 27 Mar 2007 07:36:25 -0700, "mhorowit" wrote:

COLIN LAMB wrote:
Remember, it is experimental.

Colin

Nope: certified

My A&P wants spruce or fir, so fir it will be
Thanks to all - MIke

When they were building Taylorcrafts in Alliance and wherever else
they built them, the wood for the ailerons was kinda like leftovers.

I just looked at a couple of original laminated aileron spars from the
1940's. The laminations were along their height, not their thickness.

It's amazing that after all these years the Taylorcraft spars, all
Sitka spruce so far as I know, don't have any AD's. Neither do their
struts. Matter of fact Taylorcrafts have very few AD's. My A&P, C.
M. Owenby, who is now sacred to the memories in these parts, always
said the Taylorcrafts were built like trucks. And yet they were light
and capable of carrying wondrous loads.

Old March 28th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:27:50 -0500, " jls"
wrote:

.. .

COLIN LAMB wrote:
Remember, it is experimental.

Colin

Nope: certified

My A&P wants spruce or fir, so fir it will be
Thanks to all - MIke

When they were building Taylorcrafts in Alliance and wherever else
they built them, the wood for the ailerons was kinda like leftovers.

I just looked at a couple of original laminated aileron spars from the
1940's. The laminations were along their height, not their thickness.

It's amazing that after all these years the Taylorcraft spars, all
Sitka spruce so far as I know, don't have any AD's. Neither do their
struts. Matter of fact Taylorcrafts have very few AD's. My A&P, C.
M. Owenby, who is now sacred to the memories in these parts, always
said the Taylorcrafts were built like trucks. And yet they were light
and capable of carrying wondrous loads.

I am constantly impressed by what I am seeing and learning as I go
thru this experience - Mike
Old March 28th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

COLIN LAMB wrote:
Remember, it is experimental.

Colin

Nope: certified

My A&P wants spruce or fir, so fir it will be
Thanks to all - MIke

When they were building Taylorcrafts in Alliance and wherever else
they built them, the wood for the ailerons was kinda like leftovers.

I just looked at a couple of original laminated aileron spars from the
1940's. The laminations were along their height, not their thickness.

It's amazing that after all these years the Taylorcraft spars, all
Sitka spruce so far as I know, don't have any AD's. Neither do their
struts. Matter of fact Taylorcrafts have very few AD's. My A&P, C.
M. Owenby, who is now sacred to the memories in these parts, always
said the Taylorcrafts were built like trucks. And yet they were light
and capable of carrying wondrous loads.

I (heart) T-Carts!

Cub aileron hinges minot piper e Aviation Marketplace 0 October 23rd 04 03:51 AM
FA: Maule M5 Aileron BFC Aviation Marketplace 0 September 24th 04 04:31 PM
Need aileron OSKI 3 Owning 0 September 15th 03 07:46 PM
Need aileron OSKI 3 Home Built 0 September 15th 03 07:45 PM
Need Aileron OSKI 3 Aviation Marketplace 0 September 15th 03 07:45 PM