City controlled airspace?

Old April 18th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default City controlled airspace?

I stumbled upon the Aircraft and Airports section of the Dallas City Codes
and found a whole new layer of regulations I never knew about.

Here's a good one. As a student, I guess I need to call my instructor
every time I need to start the engine:

SEC. 5-24. ONLY PILOT OR COMPETENT MECHANIC TO RUN ENGINE.
No person shall start or run aircraft engine other than a licensed pilot or
a competent mechanic in the cockpit attending the controls. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)

The middle rings of the DFW class B airspace begin at 2500 and 3000 feet.
This one makes it pretty tough to squeeze in the

SEC. 5-36. FLYING AT LOW ALTITUDE; PERMITS FOR LANDING PLACES.
No person shall fly any aircraft over the city at a lower altitude than
2500 feet from the surface of the earth

Here's a useless one:

SEC. 5-18. TAKE-OFF AND LANDING DIRECTION.
All aircraft take-offs and landings by pilots shall be in the direction
indicated by the airport wind direction indicator unless otherwise
authorized by the airport control tower. (Ord. Nos. 8213; 14384)

I guess you have to trust the force between the hours of 12:00 midnight and
6:00 a.m:

SEC. 5-25. MAINTENANCE RUN-UPS.
No person shall start and run up an aircraft except in a place designated
for such purposes by the director of aviation or one of the director's
assistants, and such activity shall not be conducted at Dallas Love Field
or Dallas Executive Airport between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00
a.m.

--
Dallas
Old April 18th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 4/18/2007 11:34:22 AM, Dallas wrote:

All aircraft take-offs and landings by pilots shall be in the direction
indicated by the airport wind direction indicator unless otherwise
authorized by the airport control tower

What if there is no runway in the direction of the windsock/direction
indicator?

--
Peter
Old April 18th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Dallas" wrote in message

I stumbled upon the Aircraft and Airports section of the Dallas City Codes
and found a whole new layer of regulations I never knew about.

Here's a good one. As a student, I guess I need to call my instructor
every time I need to start the engine:

SEC. 5-24. ONLY PILOT OR COMPETENT MECHANIC TO RUN ENGINE.
No person shall start or run aircraft engine other than a licensed pilot
or
a competent mechanic in the cockpit attending the controls. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)

Hmmmm. I only know one 'licensed pilot'. Everyone else I know is
certificated.

You could be a real pain and call the police every time a certificated pilot
operates an aircraft engine.

Old April 18th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-18 08:34:23 -0700, Dallas said:

I stumbled upon the Aircraft and Airports section of the Dallas City Codes
and found a whole new layer of regulations I never knew about.

Here's a good one. As a student, I guess I need to call my instructor
every time I need to start the engine:

SEC. 5-24. ONLY PILOT OR COMPETENT MECHANIC TO RUN ENGINE.
No person shall start or run aircraft engine other than a licensed pilot or
a competent mechanic in the cockpit attending the controls. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)

Many cities have ordinances like that. This is 'gotcha' for people who
hand-prop their planes. You can get a ticket for hand-propping your
plane if no one is in the cockpit attending the controls.

This is not control of airspace. Cities, counties and states all
regulate what you can do on the ground with an airplane. There was a
guy down in Borrego Springs, CA, that got a ticket for landing his
Lancair on a road. The road was deserted and was by his house and he
used to do it all the time, but the sheriff one day decided that hew
was going to something about the unlicensed vehicles on public roads.

The middle rings of the DFW class B airspace begin at 2500 and 3000 feet.
This one makes it pretty tough to squeeze in the

SEC. 5-36. FLYING AT LOW ALTITUDE; PERMITS FOR LANDING PLACES.
No person shall fly any aircraft over the city at a lower altitude than
2500 feet from the surface of the earth

Questionable whether a city can do that, to say the least. But a lot of
them try.

Here's a useless one:

SEC. 5-18. TAKE-OFF AND LANDING DIRECTION.
All aircraft take-offs and landings by pilots shall be in the direction
indicated by the airport wind direction indicator unless otherwise
authorized by the airport control tower. (Ord. Nos. 8213; 14384)

Same here. Arguably federal laws take precedence over city ordinances.

I guess you have to trust the force between the hours of 12:00 midnight and
6:00 a.m:

SEC. 5-25. MAINTENANCE RUN-UPS.
No person shall start and run up an aircraft except in a place designated
for such purposes by the director of aviation or one of the director's
assistants, and such activity shall not be conducted at Dallas Love Field
or Dallas Executive Airport between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00
a.m.

Lots of cities have noise abatement ordinances like this. Seems like
people who are trying to get some sleep don't appreciate it when you
are going WOWwowWOWwowWOWwow with the King Air at 2am.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old April 18th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On Apr 18, 8:34 am, Dallas wrote:
I stumbled upon the Aircraft and Airports section of the Dallas City Codes
and found a whole new layer of regulations I never knew about.

Here's a good one. As a student, I guess I need to call my instructor
every time I need to start the engine:

SEC. 5-24. ONLY PILOT OR COMPETENT MECHANIC TO RUN ENGINE.
No person shall start or run aircraft engine other than a licensed pilot or
a competent mechanic in the cockpit attending the controls. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)

You have a student pilot certificate, don't you? There's no such thing
as a "licensed pilot," but a solo student pilot is properly
certificated to fly an airplane.

SEC. 5-36. FLYING AT LOW ALTITUDE; PERMITS FOR LANDING PLACES.
No person shall fly any aircraft over the city at a lower altitude than
2500 feet from the surface of the earth

Unenforcible. Only the FAA has authority over aircraft in flight.

Old April 18th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

ZikZak wrote:
You have a student pilot certificate, don't you? There's no such thing
as a "licensed pilot," but a solo student pilot is properly
certificated to fly an airplane.

I know it's cool and all to say we have a certificate and not a license but
even the FAA says "license" may places on their website. Here's an example.

Replace an Airman Certificate (License)

Old April 18th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

C J Campbell wrote:

SEC. 5-24. ONLY PILOT OR COMPETENT MECHANIC TO RUN ENGINE.
No person shall start or run aircraft engine other than a licensed
pilot or
a competent mechanic in the cockpit attending the controls. (Ord. Nos.
8213; 14384)

Many cities have ordinances like that. This is 'gotcha' for people who
hand-prop their planes. You can get a ticket for hand-propping your
plane if no one is in the cockpit attending the controls.

This is not control of airspace. Cities, counties and states all
regulate what you can do on the ground with an airplane.

I don't think it's at all clear.

Federally licensed ham radio operators have been allowed
to erect towers in conflict with local zoning laws for
years. I don't see much of a difference.
Old April 18th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

C J Campbell wrote:

SEC. 5-36. FLYING AT LOW ALTITUDE; PERMITS FOR LANDING PLACES.
No person shall fly any aircraft over the city at a lower altitude than
2500 feet from the surface of the earth

Questionable whether a city can do that, to say the least. But a lot of
them try.

They absolutely can not.

Here's a useless one:

SEC. 5-18. TAKE-OFF AND LANDING DIRECTION.
All aircraft take-offs and landings by pilots shall be in the direction
indicated by the airport wind direction indicator unless otherwise
authorized by the airport control tower. (Ord. Nos. 8213; 14384)

Same here. Arguably federal laws take precedence over city ordinances.

Federal law prevails here.

Old April 18th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:49:32 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

people who are trying to get some sleep don't appreciate it when you
are going WOWwowWOWwowWOWwow with the King Air at 2am.

Somehow it's not ok to run your engine up, but acceptable to taxi forward
another 50 feet onto the runway and firewall it?

:-)

--
Dallas
Old April 18th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dallas" wrote in message

[...]

Title 49 US Code, Subtitle VII, Part A, Subpart i, Chapter 401, section
401.3 states:

(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.-

(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of
airspace of the United States.

(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit
through the navigable airspace. To further that right, the Secretary of
Transportation shall consult with the Architectural and Transportation
Barriers Compliance Board established under section 502 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 792) before prescribing a regulation
or issuing an order or procedure that will have a significant impact on the
accessibility of commercial airports or commercial air transportation for
handicapped individuals.

(b) Use of Airspace.-

(1) The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall
develop plans and policy for the use of the navigable airspace and assign by
regulation or order the use of the airspace necessary to ensure the safety
of aircraft and the efficient use of airspace. The Administrator may modify
or revoke an assignment when required in the public interest.

(2) The Administrator shall prescribe air traffic regulations on the
flight of aircraft (including regulations on safe altitudes) for-

(A) navigating, protecting, and identifying aircraft;

(B) protecting individuals and property on the ground;

(C) using the navigable airspace efficiently; and

(D) preventing collision between aircraft, between aircraft and
land or water vehicles, and between aircraft and airborne objects.