Pull plane by tail hook

Old February 20th 04, 11:44 PM
Tarif Halabi

Default Pull plane by tail hook

Hi,

Is it ok to pull my Piper Archer by the tail hook back into the hanger?
Does any one know if that will cause any damage?

Regards
Tarif Halabi
C-GQGD
Old February 21st 04, 12:55 AM
MikeM

Tarif Halabi wrote:

Hi,

Is it ok to pull my Piper Archer by the tail hook back into the hanger?
Does any one know if that will cause any damage?

Regards
Tarif Halabi
C-GQGD

I sometimes use a winch to pull the Skylane into the hangar (slight uphill,
snow, ice, and door track). The rear tie-down ring on the Skylane is pretty
whimpy, especially where the nut plate is riveted into the fuselage; I consider
it inadequate...

I use a Y shaped rope yoke attached to the main winch rope. Each arm of the Y is
about 10ft long. There are two REI climber's Carabiners attached to each of the
two ends of the Y. REI also carries Nylon strap loops about 18" long that are
rated at something like 8000lbs.

I attach the Nylon loops to the main landing gear legs just above the brake
pucks by pulling the free end of the loop through itself. Then I clip the
Carabiners onto the free end. The pull of the winch is applied very near the
main landing wheels.

Works good. The pull on the main wheels is symetrical, so it tends to straighten
out the airplane as it is pulled back.

MikeM
Skylane '1MM

Old February 21st 04, 01:28 AM
JDupre5762

Is it ok to pull my Piper Archer by the tail hook back into the hanger?
Does any one know if that will cause any damage?

It is probably ok provided you aren't pulling too hard. I see a lot of people
do it with winches in T hangars. On some Cessnas they actually tell you the
tensile strength of the rope or chain to use for tie downs. Not sure Piper
does but if they do then making sure you are not exceeding that strength should
give you no problems.

John Dupre'
Old February 21st 04, 01:49 AM
Ron Natalie

"Tarif Halabi" wrote in message om...
Hi,

Is it ok to pull my Piper Archer by the tail hook back into the hanger?
Does any one know if that will cause any damage?

You got a tail hook? Do you make many carrier landings?

Old February 21st 04, 04:36 AM
atis118

There was this exact discussion on the Cherokee 235/236 owners group
recently. The consensus was that the tail hook can handle 800 -
1000lbs of force, far more than is required to pull the airplane back
into the hanger.
Many members have been using a winch to pull their planes by the hook
for years. Using the tail hook to pull the airplane on a soft or muddy
surface was agreed to be a bad idea. Also you shouldn't use the
tailhook to pull the airplane over obstacles or large bumps.
I'm getting a winch to pull my Dakota into the hangar.

Greg

Old February 21st 04, 05:09 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Tarif Halabi wrote:

Is it ok to pull my Piper Archer by the tail hook back into the hanger?
Does any one know if that will cause any damage?

If your Archer is like my Comanche the tail ring is where you attach a
big honking (300lb?) weight while you're jacking up the wings. It must
be stronger than it looks! I've been considering doing the same thing
as you.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old February 21st 04, 01:17 PM
d b

Checkout the numbers on towing gliders.

The number is based on the gross weight of the glider multiplied by
a fudge factor. There is a lot of stored energy when you pull with this
much force, be aware of breaking a springy rope. Might be good to
put a weak link on the plane end so that a weak link break will take
the rope away from the plane.

As I recall, a 1000 lb breaking strength isn't out of reason at all.

The towplane scenario pretty closely simulates the load direction
when pulling the plane backward into a hanger.

In article iKBZb.371333$na.564927@attbi_s04, (Ben Jackson)
wrote:
In article ,
Tarif Halabi wrote:

Is it ok to pull my Piper Archer by the tail hook back into the hanger?
Does any one know if that will cause any damage?

If your Archer is like my Comanche the tail ring is where you attach a
big honking (300lb?) weight while you're jacking up the wings. It must
be stronger than it looks! I've been considering doing the same thing
as you.

WWII warplanes vs combat sim realism [email protected] Military Aviation 37 November 27th 03 05:24 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 November 1st 03 06:27 AM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
A Good Story Badwater Bill Home Built 15 September 3rd 03 03:00 PM
The prone postion for tail gunners versus turrets. The Enlightenment Military Aviation 8 July 22nd 03 11:01 PM