Komet Trailer gas struts

Old January 20th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

Default Komet Trailer gas struts

I have a 1983 Komet Standard glass top trailer. The gas strut(s) just went
kaput!

Anyone out there know the specifications? I'd be very appreciative of the
info.

TIA
--
Hartley Falbaum

Old January 21st 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

HL Falbaum wrote:
I have a 1983 Komet Standard glass top trailer. The gas strut(s) just went
kaput!

Anyone out there know the specifications? I'd be very appreciative of the
info.

TIA

HL

I replaced both of my Komet trailer struts about 2 years ago and after
seeing your post, I looked for the info. I have misfiled some of the
contact info for the US supplier but I do have his name and 3 email
addresses for you to try. This supplier was very helpful and lives(d) in
New York. His name is Harold Ennulat. Here are the email addresses I
have for him. (1) hennulat at connecttime dot net. I think this is the
latest so try this first but here are two others: (2) hennulat at cox
dot net (3) hennulat at cox dot net dot ny.

Regarding the specifications: the struts come in 2 strengths...1300
Newtons and 1600 Newtons, depending on the weight of the top of the
trailer. For my ASW20BL the 1600 Newton was recommended, due to the
extra tips I suppose. Harold can advise you on this matter.

The labels on my new struts stated,,,Hahn Gasfedern Gmbh. Waldstrasse
43 73773 Aichwald Telephone 07 11/93 67 05-0. Herst Dat 0601 Art Nr.
217880 1600N.

They arrive fully extended. But when the trailer is fully opened, the
struts are not fully extended.Therefore to install the new ones, you
have to use a strong rope or chain to suspend the top from ??...I used a
beam in my hanger. Remove both of the old ones and then open the top
further beyond its normal height so as to accommodate the longer length
of the new struts.

I hope this helps.

Paul
ZZ
Old January 21st 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

Thanks Paul--

Helps a lot.

Hartley Falbaum

Old January 21st 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Jan 20, 11:25*pm, ZZ wrote:
They arrive fully extended. But when the trailer is fully opened, the
struts are not fully extended.Therefore to install the new ones, you
have to use a strong rope or chain to suspend the top from ??...I used a
beam in my hanger. Remove both of the old ones and then open the top
further beyond its normal height so as to accommodate the longer length
of the new struts.

You can support the trailer top with a couple 2x4's firmly
clamped; no need for overhead hoist if that's not readily
available. In either case, BE CAREFUL !
Same applies for Cobra trailers (thanks for the tip Alfred).

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old January 21st 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jan 21, 7:03*am, DRN wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:25*pm, ZZ wrote:

They arrive fully extended. But when the trailer is fully opened, the
struts are not fully extended.Therefore to install the new ones, you
have to use a strong rope or chain to suspend the top from ??...I used a
beam in my hanger. Remove both of the old ones and then open the top
further beyond its normal height so as to accommodate the longer length
of the new struts.

You can support the trailer top with a couple 2x4's firmly
clamped; no need for overhead hoist if that's not readily
available. In either case, BE CAREFUL !
Same applies for Cobra trailers (thanks for the tip Alfred).

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

If you can get access to a hydropress, you can partially compress the
struts and safety wire them in that position. That means you don't
have to raise the trailer top as far. Yes, be very careful.
Old January 22nd 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV[_2_]

If you can get access to a hydropress, you can partially compress the
struts and safety wire them in that position. That means you don't
have to raise the trailer top as far. Yes, be very careful.

I got the replacement struts from Harold Ennulat for my Komet III. Had a
helper or 2 lift the top to the correct position so that the bolt holes
lined up, bolt the gas struts to the trailer, and you're done. It was a
no brainer.

Tony V.
Old January 22nd 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

Thanks All

Have ordered from Harold.

--
Hartley Falbaum

Old January 23rd 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jan 21, 5:39*pm, "HL Falbaum" wrote:
Thanks All

Have ordered from Harold.

--
Hartley Falbaum"TonyV" wrote in message

If you can get access to a hydropress, you can partially compress the
struts and safety wire them in that position. *That means you don't
have to raise the trailer top as far. *Yes, be very careful.

I got the replacement struts from Harold Ennulat for my Komet III. Had a
helper or 2 lift the top to the correct position so that the bolt holes
lined up, bolt the gas struts to the trailer, and you're done. It was a no
brainer.

Tony V.- Hide quoted text -

One of mine is getting slightly weak. I suspect the end is near.
Would you mind posting how much they cost?
Thanks,
Jim
Old January 24th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV[_2_]

One of mine is getting slightly weak. I suspect the end is near.
Would you mind posting how much they cost?

US$125 each. Expensive, but you will be really annoyed if a strut fails
as you are pulling the glider out of the trailer.

Tony V. LS6-b
Old January 24th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

"TonyV" wrote in message

One of mine is getting slightly weak. I suspect the end is near.
Would you mind posting how much they cost?

US$125 each. Expensive, but you will be really annoyed if a strut fails as
you are pulling the glider out of the trailer.

Tony V. LS6-b

Entec (H. Ennulat)quoted $130 + shipping.

McMaster-Carr (source of everthing you ever need at a decent price) is over
$100 but no guarantee on exact fit!

Much less than the price of, say, a new canopy!

Hartley Falbaum
USA Mid Georgia Soaring LS-4 "RC"

Old Komet Trailer thermalrider Soaring 7 October 11th 08 04:13 PM
Cobra trailer lift struts for clamshell top [email protected] Soaring 4 March 4th 08 11:55 AM
Komet Trailer Gas Springs P. Corbett Soaring 4 March 11th 07 11:30 PM
Gas Struts for Clamshell Trailer [email protected] Soaring 1 April 26th 05 02:49 AM
Komet trailer strut John Shelton Soaring 5 November 15th 03 05:04 PM