A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

Old September 27th 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:00:04 AM UTC+1, Chris Davison wrote:

My vote goes for the first technology that can be fitted to a Libelle!

And I only want a system which can provide enough power to self-launch an 18m or larger glider, and have sufficient power left for a relight and/or a long retrieve. Which today means a combustion engine.

But I have to say that if I did not want self-launch, either the FES or the Jet would seem overwhelmingly better than the Turbo. For me it would be the jet because I don't like the idea of even a little drag from the prop, and I feel uneasy about having a mechanism in front of my feet - but it would have to be a jet which gives a good rate of climb, which if I understood correctly pretty much means a JS1 or an HP304.
Old September 25th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Dne nedelja, 23. september 2012 07:55:27 UTC+2 je oseba napisala:
Dear gliderpilots!

Manufacturers are not completely sure which is the way to go. So here you can vote for your favorite sustainer system:

http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com/voting.php

Thank you,

Luka

Old January 6th 16, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Hethcoat
external usenet poster

Anyone considering a jet (turbine) in their sailplane should read up on the R/C experience with these engines. I have not owned one personally, but I have read a lot about the experience. The big advantages are 1) power - they produce a huge amount of thrust 2) running reliability - once running, they rarely quit and 3) relatively low weight for the amount of thrust available. The disadvantages are 1) they are very inefficient and consume a huge amount of fuel very quickly 2) spool time - you have to think ahead of these engines since power will not be available the second you hit the throttle. This may be less of an issue in a glider vs. a R/C "rocket" with high wing loading :-)

Interesting that the critics of electric power always bring up the battery hazard issue. As if *gasoline* is not hazardous!!! Don't get Elon Musk started on that one :-) With a turbine you basically have a blowtorch installed in your aircraft! Not hazardous at all :-) There are *many* accounts of literal 'crash and burn' accidents with turbine powered R/C jets. In a crash, the high temperatures in the turbine mixed with spilled gasoline have predictable (firey) results! R/C jet owners have a fire extinguisher ready at all times.

The advantages of electric power have been well stated in this thread. The main disadvantages are weight, (relatively) low energy density and cost.

Personally, I think the future is electric. We've seen electric power almost completely displace gas on R/C fields. The advantages are just too compelling. The disadvantages lessen every year as newer, better technology comes online. There will always be a place for IC engines, but they are now becoming a niche in R/C flying, as I expect they will eventually in many other modes of transport.

Also interesting that we've been using the FES-style power arrangement in R/C self-launching gliders for many years now. It's really great to see it come online in the full-size community.

Gary Hethcoat
Northern California Soaring Association
(and long-time R/C pilot :-)
Old January 6th 16, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]
external usenet poster

Jet - for the noise it makes...whoooaa

Old January 6th 16, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If I could get someone to retrofit my 30 year old Pegase101A with the FES sustainer, I would do it tomorrow

Since that is not available I will play PowerBall tonight and order a new one over the weekend.

But seriously - will FES have a presence at the convention in Feb? - someday I will have a sailplane with FES.

WH1
Old January 6th 16, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Does your Pegase have a circular cross section at the nose? Contact FES
at http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com/
and ask them if your glider is a good candidate.

On 1/6/2016 10:46 AM, wrote:
If I could get someone to retrofit my 30 year old Pegase101A with the FES sustainer, I would do it tomorrow

Since that is not available I will play PowerBall tonight and order a new one over the weekend.

But seriously - will FES have a presence at the convention in Feb? - someday I will have a sailplane with FES.

WH1

--
Dan, 5J

Old January 6th 16, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

circular nose is no longer required...as the FES Discus and Ventus show. The FES Controller will align the nosecone with the rest of the fuselage after shutdown.
Old January 6th 16, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Pegase are basically the same fuselage as a ASW20 - just French - and 20's are on their list.

I did ask, but there is no one in the US doing the retro fit - I was hoping to look at FES more at the convention. I would even consider buying a ASW20 or ASW27 in Europe and shipping it back - but I do not know the process.

If it were available as a retro fit I bet there would be a long line. For people like myself that want to do XC and want to do some contests, I believe FES is a game changer. (I know the romance about landing out.....) The increased drag/weight may keep me off a podium, but that is not my total interest as my skill level.

WH1
Old January 6th 16, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

Last convention in Reno, Leo had a Silent FES there and TN is closer to SC than to Reno.

The Silent FES was nice. I like the LED strobe on the vertical too.

Old January 6th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

How about a solid rocket JATO type unit for a sustainer. No drag, no recharging, pretty reliable, 3,000 ft climb should be doable. It also involves fire which should help with the marketing ad campaign graphics. Push the button and hang on.