LX Navigation Colibri - Overheating?

Old June 21st 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default LX Navigation Colibri - Overheating?

Has anyone ever had their Colibri shut down due to overheating? This is an earlier Colibri (pre-SD Card). It was REALLY hot today (over 100F with lots of direct sun), so it was quite an extreme test of electronics...

P3
Old June 22nd 12, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jun 21, 3:46*pm, Papa3 wrote:
Has anyone ever had their Colibri shut down due to overheating? * This is an earlier Colibri (pre-SD Card). * It was REALLY hot today (over 100F with lots of direct sun), so it was quite an extreme test of electronics....

P3

I've not had one overheat, pre USB model. But I didn't leave it in the
sun. It worked fine in a camera bag on the hat shelf in the LS4.

Many modern electronics left in the sun will overheat. Many iPad
ForeFlight users are finding out when they lay their iPad down on the
co-pilot seat and the sun shines on it at altitude for 30minutes. One
glider pilot had his Dell Streak shut down. He left it exposed in the
glider on the ready line.

Old June 22nd 12, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

At 22:46 21 June 2012, Papa3 wrote:
Has anyone ever had their Colibri shut down due to overheating? This is
an earlier Colibri (pre-SD Card). It was REALLY hot today (over 100F

with
lots of direct sun), so it was quite an extreme test of electronics...

P3

P3...

When I saw "the boys" taking off today...with the colibri mounted on top of
the glare shield..I suggested that it was not a good idea....they tried to
relocate it...but the cable would not allow...

Black colibri on black glare shield under plexi canopy on 99 degree
day....

When using the colibri as a "black box" recorder...I usually place the
colibri in the rear baggage compartment..under the turtle back...the
antenna too....it can see thru fiberglass....run a direct power cable to
battery also in rear...(use inline fuse....)

Cookie

Old June 22nd 12, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

I had mine under shade in the cockpit on a 95 deg day, but with a
closed canopy. It worked just fine, but I actually melted/distorted
the RJ phone jack power connector! I forget what the Tg of ABS
plastic is, but I exceded it. Anyone else have this problem? I
managed to sand down the polycarbonate connector so it would fit, but
I may have to send the unit in for repair.

aerodyne

Colibri II Rick[_3_] Soaring 5 May 5th 12 12:33 PM
colibri ryanglover1969 Soaring 2 August 17th 09 12:44 AM
Colibri Fred Blair Soaring 2 August 25th 08 03:24 PM
FS Colibri [email protected] Soaring 0 March 1st 06 12:26 PM
Video Card overheating??? Ludlow Johnson Simulators 3 February 22nd 04 12:02 AM